A horror story about a coral vendor called Aznutty...

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Va Reef, Oct 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Culling broodstock is rather different from having an utter disregard for coral and inverts that are fresh from the ocean anyways, NOT tank raised. You killing broodstock has no impact on the oceans.

I am trying to help hobbyists be aware of someone who seems not to care about what we put so much effort and emotion into; let alone the environment. It's one thing to get rid of dying/dead livestock, but to make no effort to keep it alive or throw away perfectly healthy livestock? I have a problem with that.

What's nice about forums is that everyone can have an opinion. Including you.

Sataly, April Hope and DSC reef like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

This topic is a passionate one, like other passionate topics conversations sometimes become heated.

It's not within my personal make up to cull fish or any other animal but I see the rational behind it and I do not harbor negativity to those doing so in a humane manner.

5. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I understand the passion, but this hobby kills millions of anemones, every year because we "like" them. Same with fish. I love this hobby, but it does kill large amounts of sea life each year. So which is worse the vendor or the buyer. Its like blaming drug use on the seller rather than the addict. I find it hard to understand how someone can get so uptight about a "story" about a possible vendor dumping livestock, when we all support the deaths this hobby causes. Kind of a double standard.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I for one definitely do not support the deaths this hobby causes. I think the main reason I continue to be a part of this forum/hobby is to spread my conservative attitudes towards the treatment of these animals.
    I definitely agree with you as to the 'I want' mentality. The only way my conscience allows me to continue is the fact that I have given WAY more then I have taken in the thousands of fish and corals I have propogated in the almost 30+ years I have been doing this.If I were put in charge the only way people would see most of these animals would be at the aquariums almost every city already has or in the ocean.
    Hobbyists would be limited to aquaculture and captive breeding.I can dream can't I?:)

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Considering it's a factual "story"....

Im sure 99% of people in the hobby don't support the deaths. Like you said, millions of animals die every year, most of the well versed hobbyists know to stay away from certain animals, and those that purchase them on a whim are more than likely unaware of just how many die for one to make it to there tank, such as orange spot filefish.

With all those deaths already occurring, don't you think as hobbyists we should try to discourage such a disregard? Especially considering that all of the animals thrown away were wild caught.

I too would love to see only aquacultured and tank need fish and coral, i am very appreciative of efforts made by people like you, Windy, trying to take a toll off the ocean. But unfortunately the hobby is not there yet, and there will always be uneducated people with money.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree with most of the opinions here. Where I don't agree is the fact a vendor deliberately throwing away livestock being compared to a new hobbyist not knowing what there buying and it dies. As a person in the hobby I have educated myself as to what animals to stay away from and as a reefer learns about the hobby they can make a better decision as what to buy responsibly. A vendor throwing away live animals is just ridiculous so I don't see the double standard here. Every animal I've purchased I have given the best care that I could and in no way is a vendor throwing away livestock comparable to a fish dying in my tank. I'm with your idea here vinny, aquaculture all the way

Sataly and April Hope like this.
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I missed the part where we knew they were in fact 'wild caught'. And if was obvious in the thread, my apologies.
    Not disagreeing with anything here, this fact, or what has been said

11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

At the DVRC frag swap there was a group of Chinese coral distributors. Selling frags at a fraction of cost. $20 frag was $5. $50 was $15. Undercut everyone. No website. Just travel from swap to swap. Local vendors were mad because never seen them before and took all the business. Don't think they threw anything away but it's been big news in my area

12. Frost

Frost Plankton

I cant believe what I'm reading on here... I have posted a new thread to address what was said here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.