A Hello from Southern California

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Raimond, Jul 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kashbrook

kashbrook Plankton

Welcome to 3Reef. I am also in SoCal in Imperial County (border to Mexico). I am by far not an expert, but IMHO I found the quickest way to get rid of nitrates is using carbon. It won't fix your issue, but it will aid in alleviating your immediate problem. As suggested, please continue doing water changes frequently. Check for anything decaying which may possibly cycling your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

I thought about the Algae Turf Scrubber when my red algae was bad about a month ago. I needed to replace the bulbs in my PC lighting system. I found that LEDs were only twice the price of PC bulbs but lasts 4 years or more. So I am now running Marineland LEDs. My red algae is almost gone but it was replaced with brown, but not to the extent of the original problem. Also, the red algae growing in my refugium is much less now. I am using a 18 watt 10,000K PC and a 18 watt 10,000K screw in lamp.

I am limited in room for the scrubber in my cabinet, I have a chiller, sump, denitrater and external pump. Not sure I want to run it outside of the cabinet.

4. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Kashbrook
    I work in Indio, not too far away.
    I will do a 50 Gal change next weekend to see if that helps. I am running a small amount of carbon right now but will increase it ASAP. My tank did a minor cycle last week as I took out some of the upper rock to clean off the algae. Ammonia and nitrites were barely elevated for 2 days each, I expected this and did a water change as it started.
    I recently changed my brand of salt, I checked it for nitrates after mixing and they were 0.
    My puffer is a messy eater but the crabs do their part in cleaning up.
    My DIY denitrater has never contributed to my problem as some say it can but it has never helped either, I have been running it for 2 years now. Just one more thing to tinker with.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>>

6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

7. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

With the amount of over feeding that it sounds like you wife does ;D, do you regularly "clean" your rockwork? Might sound silly, but food and detritus can get trapped in the nooks and crannies of the rocks and increase your nitrates. Taking a turkey baster to them for a good cleaning right before your big water change might be a way to help lower the nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Hello and welcome to 3reef

10. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

OK, so yesterday AM my nitrates were 40, didn't believe it so I tested again. Sure enough 40, last night, same thing and this AM still there.

I have to empty my sump this week to install a new chiller, mine died yesterday. So this should bring it down a bit more. The micro algae must be working!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Welcome to 3reef .......Do you run any filter socks or pads anywhere in the system??if so change then out more frequently...with this being said you could clean off your rocks and have the socks/pads help clean it.but again keep them changed out alot...definitely get your wife to cut back on the feedings(it will help).bargain with here,aka take her out and buy here something..lol...the macro algae will help and will work better with a bulb close to 65k.also you will have to just give it time..along with water changes you should get this under control,but it will take time..good luck..