A few questions

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trent51593, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok i have the devil in my tank (bryopsis) and i think im going to nuke it.

1: if i have a live rock in my tank now that has no signs of algea on it can i transfer that into the tank that im going to keep my corals and fish in while i do this??

2: Instead of using bleach and what not could i just leave the rocks sit out of water for a week to let it dry out then when completely dry scrub it under hot water??

Also i have it in my sump fuge that its growing in, but its on the glass, could i just take a razor to it and let it dry out also?

Thanks for your answers, if you nuked your tank let me know how you cleaned your rocks.

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Keep in mind that if it is in your tank, it is in your tank and not just certain parts of it. It may not be showing signs of growth on other parts, but all it takes is one spore to be present and once the conditions it needs to grow are there, then it will resurface. That covers question #1 I think.
    #2. If you just let it sit and dry, the scenario in #1 still applies. A spore can go dormant within the rock and not die out. You will have to either nuke it with bleach water, or nuke it with hypo mag water, Mg range in the 1600+ I have read in this forum.
    When I had to nuke my nano rocks, I just sat it in 1:4 parts bleach water for 4 days, then let it cycle in regular saltwater for 2 months to make sure all the bleach was removed from all the rock. I performed weekly 100% waterchanges in the tub I was curing the rocks in. Good luck with it.