A few questions about water chemistry

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by stauchistory, Aug 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

I've had my tank set up for 2 weeks, and bought a new test kit last night, as my previous one was quite old. I bought an API Master Test Kit (originally $40, but got it for $25 due to Petco's price matching ;D). I jumped into this too fast and added fish earlier than I should have, which I can't take back now, but I have learned from my mistake and have already slowed down. Now on to my questions...

How often should I be checking my water chemistry? Does the time differ because my tank is new? If so, how often should I check it when it matures?

With a 2 week old tank, how is my chemistry looking so far? My current levels are:

PH - 8.0
    Temp - 80
    SG - 1.025
    Ammonia - 1.0
    Nitrite: 5.0
    Nitrate - 30

I'm a documentation nut - part of my analytical way of thinking I guess. Has anyone created a spreadsheet where they log their chemistry readings in in order to show a trend? I'm not an Excel genius but thought of doing this. I wanted to see if someone else did so I could get some ideas on how to set it up.

In regard to documentation, how many people keep a "diary" for their tanks, where they can document newly added fish, illnesses, feedings, etc. Again, something I would like to start doing. (Guess that didn't have a thing to do about chemistry, did it?)

Appreciate any thoughts or comments.

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

let the cycle finnish and keep your lights off for now ,give it another 2-3 weeks and test again you should see a drow in thoes first tests,
    (lights promote algea blooms in new tanks)

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I'll go search for it, but someone that was an Excel genius started a data logger on 3reef a while back. I haven't used it, but I remember it was there. One thought, as you grow your system you probably end up buying a controller of some kind. Aquacontroller Junior or something. THe point is that many of these controllers offer data logging to automatically stream data to your computer. Dream come true for geeks like you and I. ;)

One last thought, tell us about your system... tank size, sump? how much sand, live rock, etc?? Filter or Fuge??? That'll help folks give much more targeted advice and thoughts.

Hope that helped.

Mark

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Reef Logger

Here is a link to that Execl data logging program that I mentioned. You might post there I see where the latest revision is.

Mark

PS -- Agree with wastemanagement that you don't NEED to test for a few weeks. I recommend weekly when starting so you can SEE the cycle happening and just in case you see something odd so you can ask questions. Depends on your experience and confidence.

6. stauchistory

Check out my sig. Just added one last night and think I added everything you asked for. I bought this setup used as an inexpensive way to try out the sw hobby. Right now I have basic cheesy decorations but plan on getting some rock from Reefcleaners soon, as well as a CUC once my cycle is more complete. I have something in my tank that I was told is natural, but not sure of it's name. It's white and has "tubes" that my damsels love to hide in. I'll get a pic a little later.

7. stauchistory

Since I already added fish, should I not have the lights on at all, or just at a minimum?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Just minimize the lighting for now... I little won't hurt, but the more you have them on, the more algae will grow.

M

PS -- Good job asking all the questions.... we all started there.

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Here is my mini-essay on cycling.

Tank cycling:
    There are some who would tell you that once "the numbers" are all good the cycle is over and you are ready to go, I am not one of those. What many beginner (even some advanced) aquarium keepers are not (fully) aware of is that the full cycle takes at least 6-8 months. The reason being, mainly, is this is the time required to fully cultivate a total beneficial bacterial base and achieve a saturation of such. Also, allowing the tank to "season" and go through the inevitable mini-cycles and diatom blooms and get fully established is the key to a healthy and stable tank in the future. You could have one fish after about the 6 week mark, let the tank get established by light feeding and going through a moderate light cycle (6-8 hours) for the next 3 weeks.At the 2 month mark, A 25% water change of the "total"water volume is in order. After that, add a few clean up critters (crabs and/or snails) and allow the tank to "catch up" to the added load (you may at this time add some live bacteria to help in this process) and give it another 2 weeks doing all your tests on a regular (weekly) basis and determine if the tank is stable. Water changes of 30% should be carried out once a month to once every 5-6 weeks. Coral should not be introduced (even soft) until the tank is around 3-4 months old. Too many beginners don't exercise the proper patience and discipline at this early stage of getting their tank going only to have problems and head aches down the road. Once the tank has gone through this full cycle period and the tank is stable, then and only then, should you add more difficult coral like hard coral. I always employed a bit of advice I got when I was starting out to add bacteria after each water change for the first and subsequent next 4-5 changes. After the 4th water change then and only then add to the tank and minimally at that.
    Another good tactic I learned is to add (whatever you are adding) a couple days after a water change. This gives the new creature fresh minerals and trace elements and a good 3-4 weeks (I adhere to 4-5 week intervals between changes) to adjust to the new water parameters, light, temp etc. before disrupting the tank for the next water change.
    I hope this helps.

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i recommend "start smart" its a additive that cycles your tank immediately. its cheap 12.99. check out the web site they have it tells about it.
    all my readings are zero and have been from the first day. and i started this new tank about 4 weeks ago and its stocked with fish and a few corals.
    i used it once before with the same results. its an awesome product.

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Great description.... definitely agree with patience being key!

M