A few hundred fish in a 75 gal.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SaltyClown, Dec 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Gotcha ;)

Well kinda, at the moment I have at least 100 baby clownfish that hatched tonight, and are all swing around the tank. So cool! This is the 4th spawning, 2 successful clutch by my false perculas. Oh and yes, the female is already fat with eggs to lay in the next few days.

I love this hobby!

...It is sad the babies won't make it...I might try to raise a clutch in the future.

Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Got me!
    If you do raise them, read some breeding logs on how to do that. To keep it simple and quick, you breed rotifers (Copepods, but way smaller) or buy them, then keep the clownfish babies in a small rearing tank with an airstone, get a specialized siphon to do frequent WCs, tint the water green with rotifers. Then they grow up and you can use special foods for them.
    But there's even more too it, if you become successful, you can sell them to LFSs. If you want bigger/healthier clutches, feed the breeding pair more, and raise the temp to 82-84 unless you have a lot of corals and other fish.

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Cool! How long do clowns have to be to mate?

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Females usually have to be 2-3 years old, males it only takes 6-14 months most of the time.

SaltyClown likes this.