A different Flow Question

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Wilber, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

nevermind, its screwed up sound wise

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

having looked at you skimmer photos that will not work very well you will have to raise the skimmer and get a gate valve . You have that outlet angled up wards I assume to try to raise the water level ? But that entire pipe has to be above the water and a gate valve is used to control outlet flow to control mixing chamber water levels . With that line looking up wards there will be a flow issue with uncontrollable back pressure and possible air lock .

4. rodcpierce

here is a couple pictures of them with the cones/screens over them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I just fired it up, and it works fine. The second elbow per the instructions is just there to direct the flow of the water. The first one adjusts the water level.

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Herbie even shut his valve and his secondary did all the flow. I don't think mine will. I have a lot going. Who knows.

Nice screens. And oh ya, a fish could certainly clog it. Another reason for the caps or screens.

7. rodcpierce

Oh yes, i wouldnt dream of running it without some sort of devise to keep things out. But with the cap/screen over it, i shouldnt have any issues, and it still amazes me!!! You cant even tell it is running!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

The only thing I can hear running is the pumps. Its incredibly quiet. The mag 12 can't even keep up with all the flow from the wide open 1" drain. O well.

Im happy with it, and I even shut off the main drain to see what would happen, and it flowed just enough to let the return chamber drop fairly low. Then the pump starts making all kinds of noise and the tank fills with micro bubbles, Kind of an alarm to me that something is wrong.

10. rodcpierce

yeah, i cant even hear my pumps running, as they are inside the cabinet. Its completelly silent. haha, love it man!

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You pump vortexed and sucked in a bunch of air. Not good for a long time. Even still hard to see it happening. To just totally block.

It's a good thing from time to time to cycle your valve and clean it out.

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

skimmer external pump, main tank separate external pump, main tank drain split to sump and fuge