A different Flow Question

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Wilber, Feb 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

So far I have come to the conclusion to silence the sump the only option is a herbie style.

I figured out the power outage overflow issue, the return is below the water line, so it turned into a siphon after the pump turned off. So I drilled a really small hole like 1/64" just below the water line and it instantly breaks it. So now im good to go.

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I went with 1/8. Even seems to take a bit to break. I always checked my old return when cleaning the overflow to make sure it was clear. It was, but it would still siphon a bit. What ever works is what you need. I have seen others that have it above the water line and just have a huge salt patch from th splash. So ya, mine is below.

I realize you don't want to change, but I figured I might as well get what I want while I was messing with it. I'm not trying to be the Herbie cheerleader and get you on board. I am very happy with it. After researching it and doing it, it's great. Let me know if you need any help. You can go to Reef Central too, there are a couple of gurus over there.

I was going to update my thread and put a bit more info in it too so people don't have to search as much.

Quiet overflow
    [​IMG]

Quiet drain.
    [​IMG]

That is both my drains at about 600 GPH. I put my secondary below the water line. I know it isn't flowing.

4. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

Well I have cut out the old stuff and re-routed the second hole into the sump and replumbed my return up the back.

I just gatt make up the main drain stand pipe and let the cement cure for a couple hours before I put water thru it.

As far as the main drain, If the rest is one inch, Should the stand pipe be one inch too?

And it looks like yours is capped off, Then Would I drill a bunch Of half inch holes in the side to drain water then?

*this go around I installed a checkvalve just above the pump instead of drilling the hole.

5. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

i also just converted mine to herbie style today about 20 minutes ago. It is rediculous how quiet this thing is!! I dont have 2 pipes for the overflow incase it gets plugged, but I put strainers on the end, so in order to plug this thing, your going to have to completelly cover the cone shaped skimmer, so i feel pretty safe with it. They are so silent its unreal!!!

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

This is great. Be sure to post up on the Herbie thread for others to see.

7. rodcpierce

i took a video but i cant get it to upload without screwing up the sound

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

The main drain stand pipe in the overflow I made out of 1.5 inch. Just to give it a bigger diameter for more holes and water flow. I capped the top to keep snails out of. I didn't glue the stuff together.

With the 1.5 pipe, I drilled 3/8 holes. However, bigger just splits the pipe. The bit tears it up. Even still, most folks keep it 1" with no troubles and holes smaller. Just keep in mind cleaning and algae. Bigger is better.

My drain and return of course are 3/4" and 1", I just made the pipes bigger every where else to increase flow. The bulkhead fittings are the smallest ID anywhere in my stuff.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Trip hu. That's it, the guy built a lot of safety in with the secondary drain, but seriously, what would it take to clog.

Some don't even use the secondary drain, but I find that unacceptable.

11. Wilber

Wilber Fire Worm

I dont Think I would be able to sleep at night with out the secondary drain. o well to each there own. lol

I will use 1 1/4" for the main drain becuase I have alot left over, and I can return a peice of one inch! along with about 50 other fittings to avoid multiple trips to lowes. :)

And I just got my pump for the skimmer, the new collection cup should be here in an hour or so and then Some roundstock pvc so I can do some crazy rock work!

Pictures of everything will be reposted when I get it all sorted out and working!

12. rodcpierce

if i get this video to upload i will show you what i put on the end. Plus, i have one on each side of the tank, whats it going to take for both of them to clog at once..........and if people dont check them regularly and clean out any algae that has formed, that is there own deal really.