945ish Gallon Pond Project

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by crappyballer, Jul 7, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

looking good... should make it a outdoor reef, lol

big enough to dive in, hahaha

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

One word...Dunks! The house next door has a koi pond and no one lives there. They don't take care of it and the mosquito's are almost unbearable in every backyard here. I am going to get some and throw them in, I've heard they work and don't kill livestock, just larvae and mosquitos. I'll see if I can't sneak in and take some pics of the koi in it. My Lab gets out of our yard and heads straight for that pond. Not sure if he just likes the swimming or actually tries to catch the fish.

5. crappyballer

dunks? are you talking about the mosquito fish? if so, then yea i plan on gettin at least 6 for the pond. as west nile virus is always a scare around these parts. and i wish i lived some where warm all the time i would totally do a kiddy pool reef.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  6. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

I think your fish(depending on which ones you get) will take care of the mosquitos.

7. crappyballer

the mosquito fish are dirt cheap and i would like to diversify as much wild life as possible.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

10. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I'm about to take over the care of a 4'x4'x4' fiberglass pond. Does anyone have any good resources (print or online) that I could check out? Or does anyone feel they have enough experience to be able to help me out with a few questions?
    Thanks!

11. crappyballer

i have a couple of books i have been reading and would be more than willing to offer my advice/opinons on any qestions you might have. oh yea we added some hyacinths and italian val just to put some color until we can get fish. i will get some pics up this weekend.

12. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Thanks for the offer of advice...here are a few of my questions:
    - Did you put gravel on the bottom of your pond? I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of more surface area for beneficial bacteria vs it being a pain in the butt to keep clean...
    - Did you construct planting shelves as you built the pond or are you going to make some type of stand later?
    - What books have you been looking in for help?
    - How can I figure what depth (in my part of the country) the water needs to be to keep from freezing entirely?