911 dialed today...

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by bmshehan, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yep. I highly suggest you look in to one if you serious about this bmshehan. They aren't nearly as expensive as you would think either. You can get a pistol model for around $300. Not much more than a quality lock and key/combination safe. You can program yours and your wife's fingerprints into the memory. This way you can keep the gun in there with a full magazine, chambered, all ready to go, and still get to it instantly, but at the same time have it fully secure. Think of them like a magical nightstand drawer ;)

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I think both will be my best bet!!;D The shotgun and .22 I already have make me feel safe, I could load either one quickly, but when my wife called I felt horrible that I couldn't make her feel safe at that time:(! The handgun will be a priority, the alarm I will look into.

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Man that's crazy Bryce. Glad everything was ok. I know what it's like to have your house broken into. The 1187 stayed loaded and chambered by the bed for some time after that.

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I actually just sent in my application for the state. $30 well spent! Can't wait to go to the store when I get my permit!! Ironically I just called the police (about 2 mins ago) for my neighbor a couple houses down with no phone, that said some guys kicked his back door in and took off.

6. bmshehan

Ya, wasn't anything near what you experienced but Amanda was scared to death and it just makes you think "what if?"

That would be a great reason to get one!!

7. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

When I was in my 20's I lived in a not-so-great side of town. Single, white female and all that, I started taking handgun lessons at an indoor gun range. I actually turned my fear of guns into a lot of knowledge, and though I don't currently own a gun, I wouldn't hesitate to own one for my own protection. Besides, target practice is a GREAT stress reliever!

8. Click Here!

9. babyduke

babyduke Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I either read it in the magazine or saw it on some TV show where an ex-expert thief was interviewed. This is what he said. Most breakins happen when no one's home and burglar alarms do not deter the best thieves as they know how to disengage it. You can protect the home with the best doors and windows but if they want to, thieves will get in. He said getting a dog is the best way along with the neighborhood watch program. Dog's bark is worse than its bite and will surprisingly discourage the bad guys from breaking in.

10. bmshehan

That is too true that they will get in if they want to. I know someone who leaves their doors unlocked because they had someone kick in their door 3 times in 2 years. They were tired of replacing doors. I got a dog, she should help. I've also heard that lights are a theives worst friend, so keeping a porch light on helps greatly. We have motion lights in the back too.

11. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Its true, most burglars rob when no one is home, but the alarms gives them something to think about,plus if you have a cellular backup, the alarm will still send signals, if they cut phone line, etc. Its just like locks. They make things harder, even though they are easily defeated

Here is an excerpt from a website:

12. bmshehan

Nice info geek. One step I have meant to take before and haven't gotten around to it is to buy some cheap printable stickers from wally world and print out my own "Warning: this house is protected by..." stickers. Only costs a couple bucks and no monthly fee! I think the main thing is deterring petty theives, which most burglars are. The masterminds will get what they want no matter what precautions you take. Heck some masterminds robbed the local wal-mart in broad daylight a couple years ago and got away with somewhere around 1.5 mil. They were never found!