90G set up and plan????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Alec, Jan 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

Here is my set up

Water / Salt. From Coralife Pure-Flow II 4 stage 50gpd Ro Unit / Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

DT. 90gallon DT (will have1/2-1in sand bed and 110lbs live rock) it has 2 overflows one leads to 20 gallon sump with a Seaclone protein skimmer rated for 100gallon tank and 5oz of activated carbon. Other leads to a 55 gallon tank with 5in DSB that tank has a overflow box leading to a 40gallon tank with 2 x 5600k lights on my macro algae (Chaetomorpha). Also have an ATO unit with 10G fresh RO water.

Lighting. on DT 48 Inch AquaticLife fixture it has 2x150 Watt HQI / R7S HID, 4x54 Watt T5 HO Lights, w/ 4 Lunar LEDs.

Flow. DT has 2x marineland maxi-jet 160gph powerheads and 2x return pumps putting in 300gph each. DSB tank has 2x marineland circulation pump 500gph each and algae tank has one 500gph circulation pump.

Here is my plan.

Day 1: Set it up live rock 135lbs seeding a new 5in DSB 60lbs of which is live sand. Add Macro algae to its tank.

month 1: let the tank run in and have nothing in it. On 2nd week add reef pods and take live rock off of sand bed and put in DT.

Month 2: Add 1 Dartfish (firefish purple) and 1 soft coral and cleanup crew.

Month 3: Add another Dartfish (firefish red and 1 soft coral. (if can have 2 dartfish in a 90gallon. Have hurd they fight but not sure if would in such a big tank. What do you think?

Month 4 Add 1 Jawfish (yellowhead) if pod population is high enough. Add 2 feather dusters

Month 5: Monitor and maintain levels.

Month 6: If all is well Add bubble tip Anemone and an Ocellaris Clownfish a week or 2 after anemone.

Month 7: Add Dragonet Mandarin and more corals. (mushroom or soft)

Month 8: Add a Tridacan clam if i have keept the calcium at the required levels. Add a nother Dragonet Mandarin and 2 Harlequin Shrimp

After that IDK lol probably more soft corals.

. Here are a few questions I have for you experts  I

1. Can I have 2 dartfish in a 90gallon. Have hurd they fight but not sure if would in such a big tank. What do you think?
    2. Here are what I want in my Cleanup Crew but I have no idea how many it will take of each any ideas?
    For DSB MiniStars, Bristle Worms, Spaghetti Worms, Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails, Emerals Crab, electric blue hermit crab.
    For DT Bristle worms, Spaghetti worms, Nassarius Snails, Cerith Snails, yellow sea cucumber, maybe a crab if sure won’t eat my coral.

I would like to know what you guys think of my set up and plan. If I am doing something wrong or to fast let me know. I will be starting day one in a week or two.

Any tips or answers are very welcome I am far from experienced and I don’t want to fail at this awesome hobby.

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Welcome sir.
    It's great you got a plan.

I'll throw out some thoughts.
    110 of live rock would be excellent (and expensive).
    If it's the instant ocean seaclone skimmer, I'd probably just steer clear of that from the start. You'd be better off with buying 1/4 or 1/2 live rock and using dry rock for the rest. Take the money you would have spent on the other 1/2 live rock and get a better skimmer instead. A skimmer is important and a wise investment from the start. Some folks choose a skimmer and build the tank around that! There are a bunch of excellent brands out there.

For the most affordable, and great skimmers out there, check out SCAquariums - the 303 or 302 model would suit you well. Their performance is on par with skimmers costing 2, 3 and 4 times as much. If you have deep pockets, the sky is the limit with high end skimmers too.

The two overflows going to that sump setup sounds quite ambitious! I love building stuff too so I'm not here to stop ya!

I personally would prob go with 2 sumps as a max. One tank for the typical sump duties, and maybe another for a macro algae tank.

Deep Sand Beds seem to be falling out of fashion as of late...

Keep one thing in mind as you do your plumbing tho - don't use any valves on the drain lines! If you want to throttle the GPH going to your sump(s), you do it with valves on the return lines, NOT the drain lines.

You're display tank will need, much, much more flow.
    My 30 gal has about 1600 GPH in it (including the return)

You may be successful with an Anemone but it's really recommended to not put one into a tank that is younger than a year or even two years.

I would hold off on the Mandarin and clam for at least the year mark as well. I suppose you could do two Mandarins, but only one would prob be a better choice.

For CUCrew info, check out reefcleaners. I've ordered from him before and the crew was great.
    Reef Cleaners| Clean up Crews and Macroalgae

Hope this helps.

~FB

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Also, to clarify. You mention the 55 gal tank has an overflow box.
    I would advice that your DT be drilled for the overflow as well as the tanks in your sump system.
    As in, I would avoid hang-on style overflow boxes.
    Might as well do it right from the start since nothing is wet yet.

5. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

ok so looks like bigest problem right off is flow if i switch my power heads in DT to there Circulation pump mode it gives me 750gph each thats a total of 2100gph in my 90G DT is that enogh? i can get bigger in a few weeks if you know any good ones for a tank this size.

and switched skimmer to the Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer for 125gallons it has great reviews.

moving clam and anemone to the year mark.

DT is drilled to sump but overflows going to DSB and to alage tank it is temperd glass so didn't want to risk drilling and in test runs the overflow box worked great the valve is on the return line.

happy to have so much input so soon. i'm realy exited to get this started right.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

FB did an excellent job in answering your questions. I only had a couple of other comments: you'll need to include some sort of cover in your DT with the jawfish. You may want to look at wp-25 powerheads. I seem to say this a lot but I really like mine and it's so much nicer than koralia pumps IMO. They are fairly new in the market so durability is not clear at this point.

It looks like you've been doing a lot of reading given your plan. Continue to research and make informed decisions. Also, this forum is awesome in terms of nonjudgmental feedback.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby :)

7. Alec

Alec Astrea Snail

Nice tip i see they jump I will have to look for a top of some sort before getting him.

The wave maker you listed is a little pricy. Would this one work?
    3200GPH Aquarium Dual Circulation Wave Maker Pump Powerhead Magnetic Drive Reef