90g-lionfish tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by txmudnhunt, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

I am going to go on a limb and say since its a 90 gallon tank setup with live rock i am going to need lets say two good powerheads, something that does about 1200 flow rate?
    I can start checking around for better prices on things that are just as well built. I am trying not to break the bank on this tank, but its going to be right in the center of the living room so i also want it to look and run nice. I have wanted a lionfish since i started my clown fish tank, so I am a little eager to get it going but i want to pace myself and make sure i do it right. I am going to buy the salt mix as i ran out doing maintenance on the clown tank. but i figured i would shop around and check some stuff out while im there.

2. Click Here!

3. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

Nobody tries to but it always happens

4. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

yeah i know but i spent about three to four hundred on my 30g set up with the clowns and starfish.... that isnt too bad. but that was my first saltwater tank ever and i had no clue what i was doing, so there was a lot of misfires, but i havent killed a fish yet....

HOB is hang on back

I'll start checking out protein skimmers, i basically want a skimmer thats over double the size of my tank considering I am goin to have one large lion and large tangs in it, and a clean up crew of course.... at least thats what im thinking after reading the previous posts.

While a sump system would be great, i have seen what happens when beginners start messing with them, and i dont know if i really want the headaches. I can always upgrade at a later time to a sump system once i get the feel for things though....

5. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

hang on back if he doesnt have a sump he needs a HOB

6. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

look up reef octopus they're pretty cheap but good

7. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

Lookin them up right now :0)

I am always excited when i buy something new for the tank, but then the next day im like bleehhhhhhh spending money

8. Click Here!

9. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

10. puma

puma Flamingo Tongue

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

12. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

I just talked to a guy at the aquarium store when i was buying some peppermint shrimp and a blenny for my clown tank, and he told me that i dont have to double the skimmer and one set up for 90 gallons should be enough for my tank. Since i am doing the lion, powder blue tang and maybe one other fish, I dont need a larger skimmer just a quality one.
    Im getting a little flustered with all the information im getting and im not exactly sure which one to go with now....
    and it still leaves me scratching my head when it comes to the powerheads. I am going to try and get the skimmer and powerhead by the end of this week if i can find out the right things I need, but it looks like im off to do more research