90g-lionfish tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by txmudnhunt, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

So i am starting a 90g FWLR tank and possibly some corals that are compatible of course with the lionfish I want.
    I ordered a hundred lbs of tahitian marine sand (black), and i ordered a marineland magnum 350 pro system, link is below.

Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: Marineland Magnum Canister Filters

Now for my next question what else should I be getting for my tank, powerheads? I know i dont necessarily need a protein skimmer and sump system. I am trying to keep the set up simple and get the ball rolling and on my way to the live rock. My tank has the plastic guard, to have an undergravel system as well, are those beneficial because I have heard mixed reviews on them. Any suggestions would be great as im sort of just plugging along and not really knowing if i am headed down the right path.

Thanks guys/gals
    Amber

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

4. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

what sort of protein skimmer should I be looking for, a hang on back, or a certain size?

5. Yellow Tang

6. txmudnhunt

txmudnhunt Astrea Snail

Most of the time ill see what the stores around me have and then compare prices, but i ordered the sand and canister filter system online because they had the best price on it.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

2-5 K3's - K4's would be WAY too much for a lion fish, they like calmer waters so they can perch with ease. As far as corals . . . when I had a lion, it would constantly perch on whatever my favorite coral was annoying them to no end.

you dont really need a sump system (tho they are very nice to have), but at the very least go with a decent HOB skimmer. Lions are big poopers and will foul up a tank in no time if the filtration isn't there to support them. I really wish you would have asked before you ordered that canister filter, that money would have been much better spent on a good skimmer / sump setup. Dont bother reading up on under gravel filters, there are sooo many better options available.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Yellow Tang

10. Yellow Tang

Never had lion fish My best guess
    Thanks

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

I would recommend a reef octopus HOB skimmer