90G DIY tank & stand

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jamngeo, Aug 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

PS welcome to the 3reef

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Some tanks need solid tops, like my plywood / epoxy reef tank, but most glass tanks only need the bottom rim supported.

One nice thing about the plywood top, is that it joins the entire stand together into one mega solid piece, Believe it or not, but I had a little side to side flexing on my mega overbuilt 2x4 and 2x6 stand until I put the 3/4 piece of solid plywood on top and glued and screwed it down. Now it is sherman tank worthy.

Before I added the plywood on top...

[​IMG]

You could do the best of both worlds, and make a solid piece of plywood on top, but cut the middle out for piping or just airflow. That way you get the rigidity from the top plywood, but still have it open for piping, if you have any.

fwiw, if you prime and paint the stand properly, you won't have any rot issues, even if it gets wet from time to time.

4. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

everything looks to be going alone smoothly, very pro. i love these build threads (horkn's is amazing if you havent checked it out yet, do it!). they let me dream of what i will someday do when i get out of this apartment. keep up the good work