90 Restart question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Besides topping off with fresh water just keeping walking past that tank for the next 2 weeks. No testing, no adding, nothing nada, nope.

While I used to use uncured live rock to cycle my larger tanks ( that provided the decay and die off) I would literally go on vacation for a month and let the tank cycle all by it's lonesome. I would come back do a 20% water change, test and stock slowly, this method never failed me. You rush and you'll end up with New Tank Syndrome: Marine Ich will pop up on new fish, fish will die for no reason that you can find. Just let the tank do it's thing! (with thing pronounced in a long twangy southern folk drawl.)

Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I think my biggest confusion if from all the conflicting do's and don'ts. Some were saying ghost feed every day. some say put shrimp in. some say pull the shrimp out.. some said stop ghost feeding... I just don't want to NOT have the right starting recipe so to speak and either have it never cycle or over do it and cause a overload so to speak.

4. Midnight_Madman

The last time I did this all I did was drop a big shrimp in.. let him decay for about 3 weeks from what I can remember and pulled him out when it was over.
    I think I should have just done the same thing again.. but I started ghost feeding a few days before I put the shrimp in. That was my mistake

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There is no mistake, you've done nothing ill advised. Just different means to the same end. The only wrong you can do is rush it and add livestock too quickly.

Now it's time to let the bacteria in a bottle and the organic matter do it's thing.

A tank is going to cycle regardless, some take longer. Play it safe and wait at least a month until you do anything else. You do not have to add or remove anything else, the nitrogen cycle will happen regardless just sit back and let it happen.

mdbostwick and Billme like this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Agreed ^^^. No perfect or precise formula. Get organic in the tank √. Wait √. You're on the road.

7. Midnight_Madman

Ugg. I just ran a test and ammonia hasn't seemed to move.. still at around 1.0 and still no nitrates or nitrites!

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Yeah because it's only been a week.

10. Midnight_Madman

11. Midnight_Madman

My neighbor just gave me their filter cartridge.. should I or should I not put it in my sump? I've got both answers before.. but it was always my belief it seeds

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Remind me what kit you are using to test?