90 Restart question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

All are going good advice about being patient and going slow. As a secondary issue, this seems to be driven by the desire to get a Niger Trigger. If my recollection is correct, you have a 90 gallon tank which may be an issue for this fish. If it is small it may work for a while but there should be a plan in place to rehome it when it gets larger. Just something to think of as your tank is cycling. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

Midnight_Madman and mdbostwick like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I'm so in the dark right now. My ammonia seems to be dropping. Its now .5 and two days ago was around 1.5 - 2
    I put some really good squeezings from someones established tank in last night. The only thing I am not getting is why I have no reading of nitrates OR nitrites... if my ammonia is getting lower how could I have none of the others?
    I also punch a big pinch of small pellet food in yesterday. I am not sure if I should add more food today or not!?

4. Midnight_Madman

Hes coming from a 75 so I am doing him a favor putting him in the 90 : ) but yes I know they do get big.. there may be a day I will upgrade to a 6' wide tank....

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

This is exactly what is supposed to happen. As I mentioned before don't do anything but wait. Don't feed. Don't do water changes. Don't add fish coral or inverts. Just be patient. In a couple weeks or so you can add stuff and begin a routine of water changes and maintenance.

Billme likes this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Agreed. You are thinking too much. Nature will do the work. There is enough organic material in there for the bacteria to establish. Just needs time, circulation.

Midnight_Madman likes this.
  7. Midnight_Madman

I still have a dose of bio cycle stuff left to add in a couple days.. that I should still put in correct?
    I also have someone who is supposed to give me their power filter pads to throw in my sump... do it right?

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I think I'd use civics advice. There should be enough bacteria in the tank. The bacteria will scale up or down as needed. I'm not sure about the filter pads. It depends on your system. How will they fit in with your system? Sounds like the filter pads would add more surface area for bacteria to cling to. But, you have a lot of surface area with the rock and sand.

10. Midnight_Madman

I planned on sticking the pad in my sump. Or would it be better to squeeze the bacteria out into the tank?

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Please read this....http://www.3reef.com/threads/ultimate-newbie-guide.86462/

It seems you have been on this site for some time, yes? I think you have the knowledge to set up and maitain a tank. If so, you should know this. I am sorry for being so harsh, but I am only trying to help. Putting a sponge or media in the tank might help in one way or another. But a cycle is still a cycle. It take some time. They say four to six weeks. Therefore, after getting the cycle started with some raw shrimp, you wait 4-6 weeks then begin testing. Pretty Simple Really!!!!!

Midnight_Madman and Billme like this.
  12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

You could acquire some functioning bacteria that way. You could also acquire pests that way. I would have to believe that the bacteria currently in your tank are all you need. They will scale up or down as needed. I doubt it would speed up the cycle by adding it.