90 Restart question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Agreed. ^^^ I'd just use one shrimp. It's enough.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I agree with all of the above. Listen to Corraillne! I cycled my 60 gallon tank with one shrimp and some bottled bacteria and it worked just fine. I think i left the shrimp in for about a week or so then went to ghost feeding. I did not begin to stock for about a month if my recollection is correct. Test and go slow!

Corailline and Billme like this.
  4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I threw some microb-lift bacteria in today. I am also getting some seeded filter cartridges from someone soon. If I do that should I just pull the shrimp out and should be pretty good as long as I get ammonia back down and some nitrates?

5. Midnight_Madman

I have someone selling me a nice Niger Trigger that wants to do it soon, so I am caught in a situation.. I want him but don't want to rush this cycle either.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Ammonia is the most destructive. Nitrate comes next. How long has your tank been cycling? I would certainly wait till ammonia reads 0. Once the bacteria are established, the ammonia won't typically register at all.

7. Midnight_Madman

About 1-1/2 weeks, 1 week with food 2 days with shrimp.. if I put the live bacteria in today, maybe I should pull that shrimp out to prevent more ammonia to keep building?

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Since you mentioned the fish you want to put in, i suggest feeding the tank about the amount you are going to feed the fish. When the chemistry comes into line, you'll know it's OK to add the fish.

mdbostwick likes this.
  10. Midnight_Madman

Also, if I can get two mature power filter cartridges to put in my sump, should I be sitting pretty good? As long as I get the ammonia back down

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I would pull both shrimp and then test your ammonia and nitrites either tonight or in the morning and see where you are at on those. It wouldn't hurt to add some bottled bacteria near your LR, i would just wait for a while before taking any tests afterward.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would hold off on getting the trigger. Give your cycle time and test....even once your tests are reading good, I'd still wait at least a week before adding any livestock.

DSC reef and Corailline like this.