90 Restart question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I doubt they would take too long to completely decay. And yes, the cycle would keep going till it all decays. How big is the tank? How much rock and sand? Those will all play a part in how big of a bio filter can get. Will also play a part on how much livestock the tank can handle.

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

90 tank, big sump with skimmer(not running yet) 100lbs dry rock 60lbs sand.

4. Midnight_Madman

90 tank, big sump with skimmer(not running yet) 100lbs dry rock 60lbs sand.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

if you get an ammonia reading, I'd probably not leave the shrimp in until it totally decays - just until it looks like it's going to fall apart. I'm an advocate of bacteria in a bottle not necessarily to speed up the cycle but to add some biodiversity of bacteria.

DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

That big of a system should be able to handle the three shrimp. But like ofk said, you may want to pull them before they disintegrate. It will only add to ditrius after decomposing. Not that your system can't handle it.

7. Midnight_Madman

Anyone agree with doing a huge 80-90% water change once the nitrates are ready? Or would 20-30% be enough?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Too many shrimp, simply because you do not need that amount of decay or the nasty smell and mess that goes along with it.

Too much ammonia and nitrites and you might stall the cycle.

But some Dr.Tims in test, wait it out for another couple weeks and call it a day. You can keep lightly ghost feeding. I would just pull the shrimp.

The biological filter, the mechanism behind the cycle waxes and wanes being dependent on the amount of organic matter (decay, fish and invert metabolism bi-products). The bacterial filter needs to grow, you overwhelm the filter when you stock too quickly, hence patience and stocking slowly.

DSC reef, mdbostwick and Billme like this.
  10. Corailline

20-30% will be fine.

mdbostwick likes this.
  11. Midnight_Madman

So remove all three shrimp now? They have only been in 1 day. Your saying its too much of a load basically? I actually thought about that, what would happen if it was too much. But everything I read said do it that way.

12. Corailline

I have never needed to use shrimp to cycle a tank, I have added bacteria in a bottle once or twice. Leave 1 shrimp in, you do not need 3. The development of certain nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria can be delayed or halted when the ammonia and nitrite levels are too high. Basically you do not need 3 shrimp to get the job done.

Billme likes this.