90 Gallon Wave Front Build (A LOT OF PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by scott26, Mar 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Yea I will have to get the rock and plan it all our on the floor first.

2. Click Here!

3. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

Yeah I am going to use acrylic rods when I start my 150 gal flat build you can basically find pieces of live rock with interesting shapes drill through them with a masonry bit (its really easy) as desired and stack them on a spire it will look something like this. If you want an arch look you can put the smaller rocks on the bottom and the bigger ones on the top of the stack. Put the top rocks touching and there you have it. having the rocks elevated makes for better water circulation too. it will look something like this. Google Image Result for http://www.ultimatereef.net/uploader/2009Q3/middle%20re%20scape%20018.jpg
    just some ideas !

4. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I am defentily going to look into that and prolly use it with some curved arches to get a nice cave affect.

5. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well I am in the process of moving so I was able to take the Nova Extreme Light off the 55 gallon and put it on the 90 to see what it is going to look like. I still have to finish up the doors which are taking the longest but here are so progress pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Sorry there havent been any update I was finally able to get the other door finished and it was a process let me tell you.

I started with putting the door together with an extra piece to fill in the middle hole using a 5 degree bevel to get a curve out of the door well that wasn't enough so I had to cut it off.

Then I redid it and tried another 5 degree on the other side as well still wasn't enough so I cut it off again even after plaining it some it just didn't fit right.

I finally got the magic bevel degree and at 7 degrees on each side it curves just right.

I stil have to add more glue to it since I was not able to clamp it in place because of the curve I need more glue to renforce it. Then I can sand sand and more sand then fill with wood filler and then sand some more!! then I can put my siding on and go to the next phase of more final sanding.

7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Have you finished the overflow box yet?
    How deep are you making it? Do you know if it matters to how deep or shallow it is?
    I'm planning on doing this type of overflow system for my tank...but my tank is a bit odd in design so may need to modify it.

8. Click Here!

9. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

All you need to be able to do is install the elbows so you need enough room to get them in and out. To cut back on some space I cut off one side of the 90 degree pipe to make it so I can get it closer to the back side of the aquarium. and you want enough room on the bottom to let water flow freely I am thinking around 1/2 inch to 1 inch gap I still have to figure out which one I would like more.

I am going to do the overflow box along with alot of other stuff once school gets out again at the end of this month that should really free up some time for me and this little project ;)

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

How's the build coming along, Scott?

11. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

That stand is seriously AMAZING! Great job!

12. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Thanks no updates yet I got the doors sanded down of the dried glue which is nice to see the good wood coming through. I am going to finish up sanding this week hopfully tomm. And fill up any holes with wood filler then stain in a maybe next week. Or when I stop working 50 hours a week LOL.