90 Gallon Setup Complete (Almost)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by MisterZJ, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

BUMP.. I would appreciate some advice on the last crude graphic I posted to let me know if you guys think that would "fix" the gurgling noise. Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The gurgling is air trying to escape. Your design of the overflow box not having the durso standpipe is whats causing it as you have figured out. I would drain it, remove the box and add the durso's. Your tank doesnt need 2 intakes for the sump. Thats just going to cause a headache later IMO.

Nice job on the drilling! Karma to ya!

4. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

Is there not a way to use a compact durso? something I could use the way it stands now? I wanted 2 just in case 1 got clogged for some reason I wouldn't have an overflow. You know what they say, 2 is always better than 1 lol. What about the design I had in that crude drawing? I guess if someone explained the principles behind how the durso's actually accomplish removing the gurgling sound I might be able to rig something up without having to remove the box, etc.. Oh, btw, the tank is still empty for now, until I move.

Thanks,

Matt

5. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

I took a look at a bunch of Durso standpipe pictures and got a general idea of how the principle works. Take a look at my homemade compact durso pipe that I built to fit inside my space constraints. My internal overflow box is not HUGE and does not have much room inside for maneuvering, so what I did was take two 90 degrees comeing out of the bulkheads pointing straight up. I then took 2 more 90 degrees that I trimmed down to be very short pointing to meet in the middle. Then I took a junction (4 junctions) and connected them together, with the pickup pointing downward in the box, and the one pointing straight up for the end cap. I actually took one of my remaining diamond bits and drilled a perfect hole in the brace for the cap to fit though. I thought it was a very clean setup and will accomplish what a normal durso pipe does. I have not drilled any holes yet in the end cap. I am going to wait until I get the tank up and running completely setup then drill as needed to silence the gurgling sound.

YOUR THOUGHTS? I would appreciate any and all opinions and advice on this DIY ASAP.

Thanks,

Matt

I have attached 2 pics of the installation.

Attached Files:

6. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

I have a problem. I have noticed after testing the draining water level inside the box that it is too high. I need to remove the box, and drop the height of this "apparatus" a little so the water level is lower in the box. My only problem is I cannot get it to break free from its silicone bond to the glass. The box does not fit flush against the back glass. When it cut out the back of the "overflow box" that I used, I left a lip so that I would have great surface area for the silicone to bond to the glass. Unfortunately, that is why I cannot get the silicone off. Is there any suggestions that you guys might have? The tank does not overflow at all, but the water level inside the box is either equal to the display tank level or JUST below it. It really doesn't give the water a chance to fall any. This is a minor concern (because I feel that the gas exchange can take place elsewhere in the sump as it drops from the drain tubes into the sump) But I do not want the possibility of an overflow. What are some suggestions to remove the overflow box so I can properly adjust the Durso pipe I built?

Thanks,

Need answers FAST!! AM MOVING FRIDAY TO ATLANTA!!

7. mudguard2005

mudguard2005 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

MisterZJ, you have a very similar set up as mine, especially the over flow box. But here is suggestion I will give you. No need to mod inside your overflow box. How about outside?

Here are some pics to give you an idea. You have to mod the outside. There are 2 screw caps that i have leaving the overflow box. the smaller one got an air hole. Quick question, what is the width/spacing between the teeth of the overflow box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

ahh, nice setup. I actually fixed my own problem last night. I filled her up with freshwater for a test run, and played around with drilling holes in the end cap. At first I drilled 2, and it still had the flushing effect. I drilled a 3rd, and it would work fine for about 10 minutes, then the tank water level would begin to rise and the sump return chamber would begin to drop. I was really afraid the tank was going to overflow. I then plugged two of the holes back up, and increased the size of my first hole, and after a few tweaks, I believe I hit the perfect equilibrium.

It ran all night with a consistent water level in the sump and no gurgling whatsoever.

Thanks for your advice,

Matt

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

That drawing is a bit crude but I'm with you! ;D

My only suggestion would be to eliminate the second 90 that brings the PVC back horizontal. Use a T fitting here instead and then a street 90 to go back down below the water level. With the T fitting you'll have an open end on the pipe. You'll need to put a cap on this hole and drill the smallest hole in it you can. By small I mean smaller than a toothpick small.

Attached Files:

11. MisterZJ

MisterZJ Plankton

I appreciate all the advice. I was really worried that the water level in the overflow box was going to be WAY too high, but in reality is just about perfect. It is low enough to where the water has to "fall" about 1/2" from the teeth to the overflow box water level. This gives it a little aeration, and the rest comes when it enters the sump. Like I said in my previous reply, it was fun last night :) I got a 1/16" drill bit I think it was, about the size of a threading needle lol. I drilled one hole, gurgling didn't stop. Drilled 2nd hole, it was reduced, but not eliminated. Finally, drilled a 3rd and baam. no gurgling, so I thought I had it fixed. Well, I continued to let it run while my g/f and I watched a movie, and about 15 minutes later, I look over and the return pump section was almost dry. I went to the tank and the water was above the box and right under the black brace. QUICK HUNNY, UNPLUG THE PUMP, AHHHHH!!! :) lol. Well, to make a long story short, the 3rd hole allowed a TAD too much air. I siliconed up 2 of the holes I drilled, and simply increased the size of the original one until I hit the equilibrium. It ran all night with no problems at the sump "full" level line was very consistent with no fluctuations. I am satisfied.

Thanks again,

Matt

12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

KOgle How you suggested is exactly how I have mine set up but it gurggles a lot lateley. When I first set it up it didn't but now it does. I have an acrylic tank that the plumbing is all within the back of the tank and I can't see it to tell if something is blocking the way or if it is clogged. Why would mine still be gurggling?