85 Degrees!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Blade_Runner, May 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Adnuces

Adnuces Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Could you fill soda bottles with ro water and freeze them then place these in the sump or hob and as they melt they will top up at the same time?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting idea. But I don't see a way to control the output as it melts? :huh2:

4. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

My tanks usually run 84/85 in the summer, with spikes of 88 not uncommon.
    My losses over the years were basically at temps over 92.

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

6. Adnuces

Adnuces Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well you could poke holes around the top of the bottle once it is frozen then the water would slowly leak out as it thaws into the main tank and mix.....later you would have a bottle of new tank water as the fresh mixed with the salt???? I am going to try this with a 1 litre bottle in my hob.......what is the worst that could happen....I get a bottle of water in my tank? It would be better in a sump but c'est la vie, I don't have one.

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Well I just flushed the remains of the Colt. :(

BTW, I added a poor boy chiller. I went to Meynards and picked up a $7 clip on fan and placed it in the sump. I have not seen anything over 80 since I added it. It seems to have reduced the tank by 2 degrees.

8. Click Here!

9. Pete

Pete Astrea Snail

Fan

I've had the same problem and after reading some of the earlier summer threads and trying the frozen soda bottles, I too found the fan solved the problem...at least so far. I'm just curious if there was a particular reason you put your fan on the sump (as opposed to attaching it to the top of the tank). I have also noticed that I have to top off more frequently since I've had the fan running, that seems rather obvious to me after the fact, but a good example of learning as you go. I can't imagine trying to do this without this forum. BTW, I'm 6 months into this now.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Man...i just got my real scare...power outage from 3PM too 6AM the next morning...and there was no way to cool my tank...lucky i got my generator working and got some fans up...but no ice! Jeez...i hope there aren't any more blackouts.

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

While we are on the subject of overheating guys, does anyone know if inputing high powered fans blowing air in between the lighting and the water surface make a difference in cooling the water?

12. bldblu_2

bldblu_2 Astrea Snail

I have 2 two inch fans and 1 four inch fan in between my hood and water and what a difference it makes. If just 1 fans goes out the temp goes up quickly. It works for me great.