8 year old pepper sprayed?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by clarky2120, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm writing all of this down :lol:

2. Click Here!

3. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

I do believe if that was my child he would have alot more to worrie about than pepper spray when get got home from school. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  4. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I'll be damed if my child would call child services or the cops for spanking them. If they did they would have a reason afterwards for calling them...
    For now I'm childless and hopefully stays that way for awhile. I'd rather have dogs who can defend themselves against some who plans on dog napping them and because they can't call the cops when naughty :p

1 person likes this.
  5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

All children are not alike. Some just don't care enough about their "toys" for that to be an effective punishment.

I'm a certified pediatric S.A.N.E nurse (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) and worked many years on a unit with abused children. I've seen many die or be totally ruined by their parents. But BOY, I'm still all for parental spankings.

I don't know about peppering that kid.... that was unnecesary (but deserved, in a devilish kind of way). But absolutely they did not HAVE to do it as I am sure they are saying. 100% they did not HAVE to.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I suspect a lot of the disagreement on this case is because we are hearing second-hand reports. I'm picturing some children that I have dealt with that are waaaaaay over the top, many of which were in an institutional setting because of their behavior. Other people might be picturing a regular temper tantrum.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure you're right Curt.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm not saying spraying was wrong - I don't think it was.

But I do agree with Incognito. You have to breathe, you don't have to pepper spray. There's a difference.

Like I said earlier, there is absolutely no way I couldn't disarm a stick from an 8yr old. Any 8 yr old. They simply do not have the strength or experience to win that fight. Period.

It reminds me of how much I laugh at the idea of 8 year olds having their 'black belt' in some martial art or another. My nephew got his. What a joke.

If the kid has a blade, then maybe he could cut me with luck. But a stick? Please. Maybe some of these folks are small and scared of the 8yr old, fine. But the cops?

I get the police are better protected (from law suits) by using spray over physical force. I absolutely do not think negative of the cops for using it. Just saying I wouldn't have. (based on how I understand the situation, I wasn't there obviously).

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I bet I've seen worse than what that kid had to offer. I'm 5'1" and have had 200lb enraged kids come at me after he finished choking his mother, kids with knives (butter knifes... but still), manic old lady's with forks (hey... it was a sharp fork). If I'm trained enough to keep myself, everyone around me, and the child in question safe.... so can they. If they aren't trained to handle it, send someone who is. They've had history... they knew who he was. But they ALL should be trained. Buddy up experienced officers with inexperienced. Not knowing how to do your job isn't an excuse.

Better yet, they should have called my mother-in-law. She would have taken that stick and beat him up the side of the head with it before he could have bat an eyelash.

As I said.... I'm all for sending a child out to pick their switch. But to say they had no choice but to pepper is honestly laughable.

11. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Lets just cut to the chase al alot of times people just say what is politically correct.

1st thing to get clear then we can make more light. Anyone believes that the Police use pepper spray, or tazer guns, etc on somone ONLY because they cant control the suspect then you are kidding yourselfs.
    Police have tempers, and opinions of people just as we do. If the person there arressting is acting like a major $%#@, they do things like that as a form of punishment or lesson teaching.

Agreed but police didnt spray him because they where scared of his lil piece of trim moulding. They sprayed him to show the little kid conscienquences of his actions.
    This kid told police "If you want me F#$%&$ come get me" Also told them he wanted to kill them.
    Police look for reasons to pepper spray you, that dont look for reasons not to.

If hes old enough to terrorize the whole entire school and threaten to kill police, then he's old enough to get pepper sprayed.

The boy threw a TV at the school before threatening everybody in it. Then went on national television and confirmed he really wanted to kill police. This boy needs a whole lot more than just pepper sprayed.

This boy will be on americas most wanted, garunteed. It wont be the last time he is pepper sprayed. Especially if people around him are trying to reason with him instead of putting there foot down (as the police did)

The bible says 'Spear the Rod, Spoil the Child"

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I worked as a volunteer with children for several years in Dallas at a school for Challenged Children. While most of them we just fine there were several that were not only Mentally challenged but they also had many other issues including anger issues that we had to deal with on a daily basis.

You would not believe how strong an 8 or 10 year old can actually be, especially when they are all hyped up with Adrenaline due to the fact that they are pissed about something or at someone.

I watched a 9 year old little boy take out 2 teachers and another Volunteer in less than 30 seconds with the handle from a broom. Me and another teacher had to resort to using student chairs to protect ourselves and back him into the corner to tackle and disarm him. One of the teachers that had been attacked ended up in the hospital with possibly life threating head injuries.

Once we had accomplished disarming the child it took three of us to restrain him enough so that he did not hurt himself or anyone else. So until you have had to deal with a little dynamo like this no one can say with any certainty that they would be able to stop or restrain any child.

While I really do not Agree with using pepper spray on any child in normal circumstances, I will not pass judgment on the officers because they did what they thought was right for the situation. Not one of us was there so we have no clue what this 8 year old "child" was capable of. And I honestly cannot say that I would not have use it if I had access to it the days that that little boy attacked his teachers.

I also do not agree that the parents should be held responsible, Had they been in the room with this child at the time that he did this, yes they should be held responsible. But they have no control over him when they are not there. Hasn't anyone ever seen a child that acted like Dr. Jekyll an Mr. Hide, while around their parents they are a fine example of a child but when they are gone or out of sight its a complete different story! I do However agree that the parent need to have him see some one that might able able to help him, and right away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.