8 year old pepper sprayed?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by clarky2120, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

When you watch the video, it appears like the mother really shouldn't be allowed to have children (My Opinion Only). I did find it interesting that the newscaster made the point to mention that the child was un-medicated. Does that mean she's been to the doctor but chooses not to medicate the child? I don't know.

I agree that there are often many, many times when parents and the doctors reach for the pills Vs. parenting properly. However, I've also seen cases where medication is the only solution.

2. Click Here!

3. Travis45

Travis45 Scooter Blennie

I agree with the use of the spray by the Police in this instance. I mean we all can assume a taser would have been better and more humane to use on the kid. Then again we don't know exactly the situation in the classroom.... If the kid was wielding a piece of wood molding around and if the police were unable to get a clear shot with both barbs hitting the kid, then that is probably why they used the spray on him. Also I believed the video said the teacher barricaded the kids and herself behind a door to another room. So pepper spray would not have been an issue affecting anyone else but the combatant kid. Definite parenting classes are in need for the parents and counseling for the kid. I believe in good Ole fashion discipline over medication for the child. I have a nephew who has had anger issues, the police have been involved and so has medication. There was an instance when the police threatened him with the taser, he straightened right up after that was said.....:-/

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Today any form of discipline is unconventional. If you spank, you're physically abusing the child. If you yell, you're mentally abusing the child. If you walk away to diffuse the situation you are neglecting the child.
    Our society is so hell bent on doctors, shrinks and meds. What happened to spare the rod, spoil the child. Or it takes a village to raise a child.

I was in the second grade at age 8. My teacher, Mrs. Wright would've twisted me or anyone ten ways to Sunday if we acted like that in her classroom and she was in her mid-50's at least. Mean woman.
    Then I would have got to visit the principal and Whistles. Whistles was the hand made paddle that hung on his wall and had holes drilled to cut wind resistance.
    Finally I'd have to face my dad at the end of the day and he'd make sure there wasn't any part of my rear that wasn't already red and stinging.

The officer did his job and he did it well in my opinion. Mace is actually about 90% percent pepper extract and propellant. It burns the eyes and mucus membranes. It's probably the least lethal form to subdue aggressive people.
    If I'd been in his shoes I would've hit him with a tazer and made him wet his pants. Who wants to get stabbed with a sharp piece of trim?

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Word.

However, I do believe that if this child, or any other that behaves the way this one did, is really mentally ill, that NO FORM of discipline will work. In cases like that, I'm afraid that doctors and meds may be the the only way to fix the problem.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I feel bad for the kid. There is something terribly foul in his life and his is most likely a case that requires professional help and it needs to happen now. No anger management and no parenting classes. Fit's of rage, violent behavior, torturing/killing small animals are in line with serial killer profiling. IMO this case needs an institution and treatment that begins with focus on the child and ends with teaching mom how to be a parent.

But my previous post was more on a small part of the big picture and what I see as a problem in our society. Kids are taught, beginning in preschool in my children's case, that hitting/spanking is wrong and if it happens they need to tell a teacher. So what's the result? I have an 11 year old neighbor kid teasing my dogs through the fence and when I yell at her, giving me the bird, telling me to stfu and calling me fatty fatty 2X4 because she knows I can't do anything to stop it. Worse yet she knows her parents can't do anything either. She had the same smirk on her face when her dad brought her by to "apologize" the 8 year old boy has on his in the 9 news clip. She had been "grounded" but it was obvious to me she didn't care.

My kids don't get spanked, grounded or have time outs. I hit them where it hurts the most. Depending on the severity of the offensive behavior they may have to give up a loved toy or video game for a day or week OR they may have to throw it out for good. The teenagers with jobs get fined. That's right fined. Trust me, not much goes in the garbage and I haven't collected more than $5 in the last couple years.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL

My mom was worse. She would put my favorite toy on top of the hutch IN FULL VIEW in the dining room for a week. If I was to mess up again, it was going to be thrown away. I can still remember how much it stunk to see it up there knowing full-well that I could climb that hutch in 5 seconds to nab it. I've been spanked before but not much. All it took was "The Look" and I was crying and apologizing.

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

;D I like to believe that I'm a master of "The Look". ;D

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think people are applying Dr. Spock's book wrong by reading it. I think groundings and privilege removal can be very effective. Spanking should be a last resort.

11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Thank you for generalizing!:p
    Although I understand your point and somewhat agree with it, I think it is completely unfair to say this about all kids. Yes most kids hate math and can't multiply in 8th grade IME and they just don't try. If too many students fail, it is labeled a failed class and the teacher is fired. However I love my education and I am currently 2yrs above my grade level. I do agree however, because at the public high in my city, you pass with d-...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  12. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I still have yet to read about what caused the kid to rip chair rail off the wall and use it as a weapon. I'm sure the police asked the kid a couple times to drop the stick. Their options were tackle the kid and risk him getting injured or using the spray. I think they made the correct decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.