750 watt Xenon?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by tattoolew, Feb 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

not really a metal halide question but here goes. I have a 750W xenon strobe light from Chavet and I was wandering if I could mod this thing to not strobe and just dim and use on my reef tank? I know this is a bit out of the norm but any ideas would be cool. This is the light in question.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Very impressive housing and reflector- I can see why you would want to try that.

The problems are, we don't know how well the ballast and/or bulb would run under continuous use rather than strobe mode; We don't know how well it would work dimmed (if at all- some types by design just won't); Last but not least, we don't know the spectral output, which, as you know, is vitally important to coral health, color, and growth.

If it were mine, I would certainly consider using it for a DIY MH fixture. At least you would then have a nice selection of reef-capable bulbs readily available.

4. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

thanks for the reply, the fixture does have a dimming knob and strobe adjust knob 1-20 strobes per sec. from what i can tell, very bright even turned down, it has a bit of a 12k look. Xenon bulbs tend to be more blue I believe at least the ones in the auto industry. I may try to convert to MH if it wont work as is.

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

5600k. From the one site I looked at.
    Not sure how it would do but thought I would share that info.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It could be worthwhile if at all possible to find any info on the ballast such as what type and wattage of bulb it is capable of running.

7. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

Xenon headlights first appeared on cars sold in the U.S. back in the 1990s, and they have steadily gained in popularity since then.
    It has some advantages:
    Brighter light
    Longer Life
    Increased Safety
    Despite these benefits, xenon lights are relatively expensive

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

And do you use them or have any affiliation with the company by any chance?