75 Gallon stand... Granite?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by BoBo65, Oct 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Yea I Had told my buddy that the tank will weigh around 1000 I am a little nervous as well I haven't seen it in person yet but it does look a little flimsy, I do know the quality of builds he does though, he is a perfectionist so every single cut Is an absolute perfect 90

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hmm..it looks to be lacking bit of, umph?

What you have there looks nice. But I think it needs more of a structure.

4. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Tell him it must not twist.

Under torque, the feet should break off before the entire stand would twist. If that makes sense.

5. Seano Hermano

Is there going to be doors? Or will this cabinet be open front to show the equipment?

6. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Yeah I get what your saying, the teak wood can support the weight of the tank however I will be having powerheads in the tank and I don't want to have to worry about getting in there and giving it a good cleaning
    I think I get what your saying
    Yeah there will eventually be doors/ panels something covering it up, and I'm going to have the 29 Gal for my sump in there :D

7. Seano Hermano

8. Click Here!

9. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Lets put it this way: as it is, if the aquarium were perfectly balanced and level, that stand may hold it upright for a short amount of time. If you accidentally bumped into it or there was a little water movement.......boom crash and it's all over. In other words, please don't put an aquarium on it and start putting water in it before you do some serious mods. It's not like the stand would have to be completely torn down and rebuilt, but there is still a lot of work to be done. I can see from the picture what needs to be done, but there's too much to put in words here. Feel free to PM me if you want my point of view, or I'm sure others here will chime in before it's "too late". I'm just trying to help. :)

10. thedog12

thedog12 Astrea Snail

if you do gratin you just have to reinforce it, you just have to overbuild it which i think you would want to do anyways, stronger is always better :)

11. Seano Hermano

Hey, Ben...any update on the progress?

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Where is the dead horse so I can beat it? Any horizontal shift would have that thing coming down in a heap. I really like the slats on the bottom.