75 Gallon Project (Transfer Complete)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Droopster, Jun 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

OFK, yeah those numbers are on the cube.
    I got my glass for the overflow yesterday, and made an attempt to install it, and let it cure overnight. Seemed to be still in place this morning. I may lightly water test it tonight and do any necessary touch ups.... or cut it out and start over if needed lol.
    pictures so to follow

2. Click Here!

3. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

So some updates. Progress has been slow as I have attempting to locate a new home for the tanks current residents, 2 Red Belly Piranhas. In theory they I have some one lined up to take them next Saturday but until then all work is around them. (about 5" each) Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 10.08.52 PM.png

Heres the placement test for the tanks future location, I have some interesting plans for the skin on the stand. That will be a surprise. unnamed.jpg

Cut and installed a pipe support bracket for the plumbing, Which has been painted since this picture. unnamed-1.jpg

AND I was able to dry fit some of the plumbing, picture was before overflow install.
    unnamed-2.jpg

4. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

So using a portion of thin plexi from a cheap poster frame and some strips I cut from scrap acrylic at work, I created a cover/ shield for the lights that will be in my sump. I will install offset brackets so i can easily slide it in and out to change bulbs. Also had an old CF light fixture made for reptiles that i will install under the stand to light my Fuge. more pics to come. this was my lunch break project
    MATERIALS
    . unnamed.jpg
    Access to a wall cutter at work is convenient
    unnamed-2.jpg

The finished piece. (Protective film still on one side)
    unnamed-1.jpg

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looking good. I'm curious to see your stand skin.

6. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Things are still moving along. Work on the sump is pretty much complete. Baffles are installed, and all the pieces nestle into their places nicely (so far) You will have to excuse my work. certainly not the prettiest but it holds. unnamed-1.jpg

Also started playing with some dry fit rock work. Probably gonna have to break out the epoxy on this one.
    unnamed-3.jpg
    Installed the light under the stand to light the fuge. CF fixture made for a reptile tank I got on clearance.
    unnamed.jpg

7. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Me too haha.

8. Click Here!

9. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Me too haha.

10. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Ok Folks, Looks like the system is essentially running.
    First up an overall view of the whole setup.
    unnamed.jpg

FTS, there is some acrylic under the rock in places that I hope will aid in any topple impact.
    That said. many of the points of contact between between rocks are supported with 2 part reef safe epoxy.
    that has sand and CC caked on. (Recently my phone died that had pictures of this process)
    unnamed-1.jpg

The Bean style overflow seemed to be relatively easy to install, though it takes a bit of tuning. Not sure if any one else had issues getting that primary siphon tube to actually start a siphon. I took me a little effort and eventually had to cover the stand pipe with my hand to get air out of the primary pipe. unnamed-2.jpg

11. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

More of the plumbing
    unnamed-5.jpg
    The Sump, I may have altered my ideas for the fuge. If I have to drain this section to add sand I can later but I like the macros that I have in my nano cube so much, I may keep them incorporated in the main display tank. and run a floating ball of chaeto and the mangroves in this sump section.
    to be determined.
    unnamed-3.jpg

made an acrylic shield to give my one power-strip a little protection from the elements.
    Pipes entering the stand. power strip is held to stand with strips of velcro with adhesive on the back.
    (This stuff is solid. I have it on my kayak paddles/kayak to hold them in place. has not worn off yet.)

unnamed-7.jpg

12. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Better view of the rock scape. I like elevation and keeping lots of space for flow between rocks. I hope all the arches will cut back dead spots. unnamed-8.jpg

Heres a close up of one section where the epoxy is adding some extra support to keep rocks stable. coated with a sand and crushed coral to blend it in.
    unnamed-9.jpg

I missed this earlier. I installed a small glass divider in for water to flow into incase i decide to add any type of substrate to the fuge.
    It should be easy enough to clean out any detritus or grab stray inverts from this section.
    unnamed-4.jpg