72G bow - T5 or PC

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Xayvian, Nov 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xayvian

Xayvian Plankton

Unfortunately the shape of the bowfront tank limits the width of the fixture you can use.

I am trying to decide between a LunarLight PC fixture (4-65W) and a Tek T5 fixture (4-54W). The T5 fixture costs a little more but I believe it will provide more light. Does anyone have any information that compares the output from different types of lights - and that takes into account the types of reflectors used.

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I just bought a T-5HO light (Coralvue). T-5 is the way to go. FYI a 54W T-5 is brighter than a 96W PC!

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

why r they so much brighter when they r less wts?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmm...one thing i hate is the 1 year anniversary of buying my pcs...that means i gotta fork up $200 to buy new bulbs....thats so not cool...anyone know where i can get the 65W flat bulbs for less than $50?

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

It is the newest reef lighting technology out there. It is hard to find solid info because it is so new. It took me month of research to finally pulled the trigger. I think they product so much light because they started with the most energy effiecent flor. lighting. 48" Flor. NO is T-12 40W, T-8 34W, T-5 21W and they all product the same amount of light! It is going to be real hard to get an apple to apples comparasion until there catch on more. I will be worth it. The T-5 bulb replacement cost will be cheaper in the long run too. I am looking for a link for you.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

100g with 324 watts of T-5s. 3.24 watt per gallon growing SPS!!! The old guildlines are kind of outdated on T-5HO.

10. Xayvian

Xayvian Plankton

Covey, do you think the Tek 4 bulb T5 fixture will be enough light for my 72G bow? The tank is about 19" deep.

I am also considering using two MH pendants. With 175W bulbs it would cost about 30% more than the T5 fixture and with 250W bulbs it would cost about 40% more. Will the MH give more light?

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I not a Mh expert so someone else will have to chip in there. My tank is 18" deep and it doesn't seem to be a problem. As far as T-5 or MH. With the T-5 you will probably be able to avoid a chiller(big money) and the energy cost will be allot lower. Check back late tomorrow or thursday I will have a pic by then to show a T5 to PC comparison. Do you know if the TEK light is fan cooled? T5 runs cooler but still IMO needs a fan.

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I used this guy from Texas http://stores.ebay.com/A-to-T-Lamps-Light-Bulb-Store He knows his stuff and uses very good shipping containers.
    Jim