72 Gallon All-Glass Aquarium Questions

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by SnooknRedz, May 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

picked up said aquarium tonight for 40 bux, didnt wanna pass it up. Do you know if the back can be drilled? Im going to attempt it anyway, just figured id ask. idk if bow fronts use different glass than regular box aquariums. i tried researching, but all i could find was the front it tempered. and bottom from the sticker... my 75 had the same sticker on it, so idk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The center brace was cracked at one time, and was fixed, but in your opinion, should i leave it be the way this was fixed, or should i get acrylic piece to go under and above and screw together and silicone the crack? i personally could care less, as long as its secure and holds, but i think the wood could get soft, no? seal it with thompsons perhaps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

I put my polarized shades on, and put it against my 40" LED LCD tv/comp moniter, and i didnt see any signs of the back being tempered. But as for the brace, i still need some input. Thanks

4. SnooknRedz

Im going the acrylic route. I have some laying around, i made a template 1 3/4"X 16"
    I will use the previous owners 8 screw holes (of which arent even stainless... lol) they drilled in an attempt to correctly fix this, match the size, and go get stainless bolts n nuts from ace and join the two that way. Ill throw a bead of silcon on the piece under the brace, being generous around the crack. I feel that should as they say get r' done.
    [​IMG]

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Good find..I think your fix should be more than enough.wish I could help with the back glass but im pretty sure it not tempered..at least I dont think mine is as I have the same tank but with black trim..good luck..

6. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Good deal @ $40. From what I've read is that usually back glass isn't tempered. Your not out much if it does get messed up. Good luck

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, good luck - let us know how it goes! (fingers crossed for 'ya)

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I really like 72 gallon bowfront reef tanks. I think your back glass is fine. I think someone told me that most back glass isn't tempered except for some 55 gallon aquariums, like mine.:-/

10. SnooknRedz

thanks for the input I didn't think it would be but it's best to get another take on things.

thanks bob I know 40 bux was a steal, scratches are minimal and i can get over the oak trim.

thanks keeper! Ill make sure to keep an update on this tank as she progresses!

72 bow might be my favorite size/look tank other than a 4'x4' shallow cube... Lol I can't wait to get it going. I'm going to see if someone can't make a stand for me bcuz idk have faith in my skills to make the bow uniform. I have been flirting with the idea of a coast to coast bean style over flow w/ a single return drilled thru instead of a box. Still havnt decided I may just say to hell with it and go for it, this would be the best "test" tank for trying that. It's not that I can't, I just fear cracking the glass with 4 holes in the pane. But I like how they look and more importantly operate.. Stay tuned reefers ill make a thread for this bad boy when I get off work ( I'm on my phone) to document me fixing the brace all the way till it's wet and beyond. ;D

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Good find bro! Lets drill this sucka!

12. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

if its like the one i picked up then its shouldnt be tempared idk if they are same brand my didnt have that sticker on it but mine looks just like yours, and my center brace was cracked with mine and i did the same thing your doing a pice of acrylic epoxy and some screws and was set. i love mine its currently waiting on my new pump to arrive mine was undersized. but once i have it my lion fish tank build will continue

Last edited: May 19, 2013