7 inch hair coming from dursa??

Discussion in 'Clams' started by jglanz, Feb 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jglanz

jglanz Plankton

I am new to clams, and picked up a dursa a week ago (from everything i read so far they seam to be the easiest.) Though it seems happy, about every other day I come home and there is about a 7 inch long brown hair coming out of the exhalent siphon. It kind of looks as though its going to the bathroom. I tried to find out if this is normal but have not found a clear answer. From what I read it is either in fact going to the bathroom or expelling zooxanthellae. Does anyone know what it is, or if i should be concerned.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I haven't experience anything like that with a clam so I am not sure what you are dealing with. I would lean to the Derasa expelling zooanthellae. Keep a close eye on it. As long as it reacts to motion and is not gaping it should be OK.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1

They are one of the easiest clams. Expelling zooxanthellae seems common, just switching one type out for another, I am guessing it's because of different lighting or parameters.

5. jglanz

jglanz Plankton

The clam seems to be fine. It still reacts to all light changes, does not seem overly open, and the mantle hasn't receded, however the intake seems does seem open wider than normal. Thanks for all the help can use all the advice I can get.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012