7 Days in and something is growing

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by LukeSchnabel, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

You want to keep your temp to a minimum of 76, preferably 78-82. 68-70 is way too low for tropical coral reef animals.

2. Click Here!

3. LukeSchnabel

LukeSchnabel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok so I've been testing my ammonia levels every day now for a while and nothing has increased?
    I forgot to mention the live rock I bought was from the sellers personal collection and had it for over a year, I guess you call that "cured rock"? That will factor into my cycle I guess?. A few pieces have a very lush purple on it.
    My star fish I was going to take out and put into a buddy's tank for the time being just to make surre I don't lose it. :cheesy:

4. 1babelove

1babelove Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You are correct, my thoughts were on the pain of the clown fish...thanks for correcting me :cheesy:.

5. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I am surprised the starfish lastest the 5 days it did. It would be a good idea to have someone else watch it. Probably should take out the fish at the risk of losing them also. Just take them out and touch nothing for another week to 10 days. Then test your water.

You can ditch the HOB filter and the bio balls. Better to replace the bioballs with a big clump of chaeto. If you run a good sump and enough live rock you wont need the filter, it's just more upkeep.

From your list you will want to look into purchasing:
    Powerheads - helps to circulate water in the tank.
    Hydrometer- checks salinity of the tank
    Heater - 300watts. I prefer titanium but some people like glass (do not buy the stealth heaters)
    Thermometer - get digital one beeps when the temp is off a certain number of degrees. This will be a safety backup if something happens to the heater you'll hear alarm immediately.
    Algae Scraper - mag float works very well - buy acrylic rated if your tank is acrylic
    GFCI power strip - One day this may keep your fish alive, your house from burning down, and you from electrocuting yourself. Throw down the extra 30bucks and get a good one.

RO/DI unit - if you can't buy one find out where you can at least buy the water from someone. RO is ok, but RO/DI water much better than just RO

After you get the stuff out of your tank get on here every night and search the questions you have. If you can't find them ask them. But you basically have two weeks to research as much as you can. Ask questions. And think about this fish you want to put in the tank - research compatability

6. LukeSchnabel

This is the algae growing on my rock... i just picked up 2 emral crabs as well...

DSC01892.jpg picture by lukeschnabel - Photobucket

you can see in the picture the starting of corline algae(spelling) I just picked up a nice piece of rock that the one whole side was covered in it... i just put it ifront of my 1050 gph current maker... would i be able to scrape some off and let it settle down in the tank atop other rock... how would i go about doing this.. im thinking of fragging the rock out into a few pieces and placing them atop some rock. i also got purple up.. and imput on this product? i hear it works well form others and not at all from some so i figure why not try it but i dont want to mess things up.

7. LukeSchnabel

8. Click Here!

9. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

I have friends that use Purple Up, I use Purple Tech. They have had good things come from it and I from mine as well. Don't bother with fragging the rock, the coraline will spread naturally with time. Patience is key.

10. LukeSchnabel

Ok cool I have it right in front of my wave maker. I took the infected pieces of rock n put them in the dark unlit side of my tank. Then the dead coral in the pic with the algae is out of the tank going to bleach it.

By the way, does purple up work? I hope so.

11. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

yeah it works well!