69 degrees

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by EPIC LOKI, Oct 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

its been a while since ive been able to put my 2 cents in on this website my house was hit by lightning 3 months ago and cooked my computer and i just got another one...but that besides the point. I had to go out of town for three days and i had my neighbor take car of my fish when i got back the heater must have failed because the temp read 69. i had an old heater and stuck it in to bring up the temp. its been about 8 hours now and the only thing that looks bad is my pulsing xenia it just looks very wilted. but i guess the question is ....is there anything i can do now or do i just have to sit and wait to see what else parishes????

thanks for your time and input

LOKI:-/

2. Click Here!

3. OSG

OSG Plankton

My experience with xenia is that it dies fast when things go worng in the tank. As for everything else, if they look okay now they probaby were not affected by the temperature swing.

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Yeah, xenia doesn't like cold water. I lost a mess after a water change a while ago and had to replace it. The new batch is busy trying to take over the tank. Now I worry about cutting it back.

5. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

yea i guess i should just pull it outta there if it doesnt turn around soon

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It likes change even less leave it where it is and you'd have a better chance .. Like with a sick fish it amazes me how some will chase them around a tank then beat them with a net then put then a Quarantine tank to treat with an antibiotic .. Instead of treating the whole infected main tank all that does is create more stress and lowers the immune system even more.
    Whats done is done moving it will do more harm then good . And the move will most likely kill it anyways Xenia's don't like different water just think about what a healthy one looks like when put in anew tank. Cool water is better and less damaging to a coral then to warm..But thats my opinion and we all now what they say about an opinion :) good luck.

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Leave it be, you never know if it might come back. If it dies, it will wither until it completely disappears, just leave it alone. Even the smallest amount of tissue left can grow a new colony.

8. Click Here!

9. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

well thanks for the input i think ill leave them be and see what happens keep an eye on the thread and ill keep ya updated as to what happens to them

10. EPIC LOKI

EPIC LOKI Astrea Snail

well i have to thank everyone for there imput...im happy to annouce that the xenias bounced back to full health and everything in the tank is doing well....

Thanks again,
    LOKI

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Long time no post eh? Hah...ive been busy latley. I have some first hand expirence with low temps. Really because the temp went down over the 3 days you were gone most of your critters slowly acclimated to the temp. Its alot better going down than going up. The xenia is just being fussy, as they always are. I would just try to get your tank up to the normal temperature over a day or two, dont try to heat it up very fast.