65 gallon albino african chiclid tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oakvad, Aug 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Prob 50 gallons when you take into account the thickness of of the acrylic. I would start looking on craigslist or locally on ebay for a standard 75 gallon tank (or bigger) to start putting together . . . I really doubt oscars will make it a year in that tank.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. oakvad

oakvad Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I found a 125 gal with canistar skimmer and like ten power heads for $50 from an old freind. just need to figure out where im gonna put it

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's a number of fish in the first month.. with the cycle, there is your algae. How big of a water change? How much are you feeding?

1 person likes this.
  5. oakvad

Ya i know to many fish to fast. the pleco was added about a month after the oscars and i was feeding too much (um had some help from the kids on that one!!) and was changing 20-25 water once a week.

the alea is gone now but seem to be getting brown algea now, or red??
    The tank is really doing good now though

6. oakvad

im wanting to put alot of rock in my new 90 gal with a nice rock scape, as long as i scrub it and clean real good can i use any rock or anything for that matter?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Glad to hear it. Sounds like it is settling in. Good routine. I would not go higher than that on a weekly basis.

Not sure about ANY rock. I can't really answer that. What were you thinking about?

8. Click Here!

9. oakvad

jst some river rock and other smooth surface rock. nothing that chips off

10. oakvad

Well we finally got our oscars in there new home today and they are absolutly lovin it. Lets hope they like it planted or im gonna have a whole bunch of plants in my 29.

Attached Files:

11. oakvad

Well its been about 2 weeks since the oscars moved into there new 90 gal planted home and so far it looks like they like their plants, keep my fingers crossed.
    One problem we are having is they and the 2 chinese algea eaters and the pleco seem to go to the surface and gulp for air. We had the same problem when we started the cycle with6 green barbs, took them out and put them in our 29 and let the tank go for almost 2 months.
    When we started the 29 we had the excact same problem and it just seemed to go away all params r good, on the 90 nitrite 0, nitrate 1, nh3 0 ph 7.7

The only thing the 2 tanks have in common is gravel we got from lowes. It was washed very thouroghly but I'm thikin it has soom chem. I can't get washed off, any ideas?

I did get some more plant gravel but need to get the old out and put the new in, any suggestions on what to do with fish. Was gonna take out 50% of water put it in a trash can then tare into the tank. Am I gonna have to let the tank cycle again with the new gravel or should the filters have enough bacteria to keep it stable

12. oakvad

Well its been about 2 weeks since the oscars moved into there new 90 gal planted home and so far it looks like they like their plants, keep my fingers crossed.
    One problem we are having is they and the 2 chinese algea eaters and the pleco seem to go to the surface and gulp for air. We had the same problem when we started the cycle with6 green barbs, took them out and put them in our 29 and let the tank go for almost 2 months.
    When we started the 29 we had the excact same problem and it just seemed to go away all params r good, on the 90 nitrite 0, nitrate 1, nh3 0 ph 7.7

The only thing the 2 tanks have in common is gravel we got from lowes. It was washed very thouroghly but I'm thikin it has soom chem. I can't get washed off, any ideas?

I did get some more plant gravel but need to get the old out and put the new in, any suggestions on what to do with fish. Was gonna take out 50% of water put it in a trash can then tare into the tank. Am I gonna have to let the tank cycle again with the new gravel or should the filters have enough bacteria to keep it stable