60in of fish OH MY WHAT TO DO!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by 90_Berlin_joe, Aug 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Kind of hard to give back a fish especially after becoming attached to the little buggers. Personally I wouldn't think of returning any of my little guys as each and every one has developed characters of their own. They have become a part of my household much in the same way a dog would.

Also, trying to catch them may be an adventure depending on the aquascaping in the tank.

As far as how many gallons per inch of fish goes I have read anywhere from 2 gallons to six gallons per inch of fish. If a fish is said to grow to a maximum 8" we are referring in most cases to the fish in the wild (oceans/seas). I doubt that any fish would attain their maximum size in a home tank because our home tanks are not nature's oceans/seas irregardless of how immaculately we maintain our tanks or how prestine our tank's water is.

Berlin Joe, I say leave things the way they are. Your 90 gallon should be able to accomodate your live stock for a while to come presuming that you refrain from adding anything else to the tank and of course you are diligent in maintaining your water's quality to its max.

My two cents :)

2. Click Here!

3. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Well I decided to keep them all, when I put up my 500gal (that I still have to get ok'ed by the wife) then i will just transfer them and we should be fine.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I really seldom get involved with these types of threads But you say you now have about a total of 60 inches of fish in a tank ? Now is that the actual total length now or what they are said to obtain as adult fish . And how much have they really grown since you acquired them ? Just curious I guess

I think I saw it was a 90 gal. If I posted what I kept in a 90 reef for over 7 yrs I'd have the tang cops on me LOL.. total length means nothing really . about 5 engineer's gobies would make 60 inches easily and it would take about 10 tangs to get that length unless we are doing square inches or cubic inches LOL I have been keeping marines for many yrs and I have never seen a fish out grow its tank I have heard of the 2 inch Hippo that reached 22 inches but I have never seen anyone to be able to produce a picture or even a witness . I always start with small tangs say a hippo about 2 inches or less and they have never gotten much over about 6 inches that in larger tanks a 90 all my tangs got to about 4 inches average and as tall as they where long. Same with butterflies and any angels I ever kept . Triggers and Parrot's will get the largest of any species I ever kept.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  5. 90_Berlin_joe

Thanks Tangster, all the fish together equal to about 17 in currently and they are about 1.5 years old.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Thats what I was thinking they will never see anywhere close to 60 inches I had my largest fish go from about 1.5 to 2 .5 in a 750 gal tank in over 5 yrs maybe they hit on average 6 to 7 inches long tangs and such. You will be fine

People read some stuff some where and base their opinions on what they are told and little of what they know through experiences with the fish. I'm sure you have Read the horror stories of the tang that got to 18 inches in a 55 LOL.. My son kept 6 yellow tangs in a 55 for well over 6 yrs with a few little fish also. Until his ex got mad put liquid soap in it.. Tell anyone you have 6 anythings in a 55 and out come the fish per gallon fish police LOL

Again filtration makes the difference I assume you won't try this with a DSB or Plenum system.. it won't work..

7. 90_Berlin_joe

nope, a good skimmer ASM-G3, a 29gal sump/refuge and regular water change.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I see no problems myself I never do water changes myself.. so you are way ahead of the curv as for a skimmer I just ran the small excalibur I ran a couple of air stones in the sump with a Luft pump thats about all I did and it was fine until I broke it down spring of 04 .. I ran carbon.. because i don't do water changes.. keep us informed as to the growth rates..

10. OSG

OSG Plankton

I agree with Tangster. I have been keeping saltwater fish for many years and I have never seen one outgrow a tank either. As long as the water quality remains good they will be fine.

11. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Yer bud, It will take a long time for those fish to grow to that full length and again in my own experiences I have only ever had one fish grow to big (actually an epaullette shark which grew extremely large and ate almost everything in the tank that moved) If they are all small at the moment you should be sweet!!

Good Luck and hope all goes well mate!!

12. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I cannot bite my tounge anylonger......WE ARE TALKInG ABOUT A REEF!!!! Way overstocked unless you are matching your sump size to the display with a killer skimmer. Doing maintenance now full time, this is the typical downfall of most "reefs". A good example of eye's to stocmach ratio. Joe, I would truly reconsider keeping all the fish unless you actually are going to upgrade the reef, as most donot regaurdless of thier original intentions.