60in of fish OH MY WHAT TO DO!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by 90_Berlin_joe, Aug 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

We will have one of those, and one of those and how about that one, oh and two of those guys.

Does this sound oh to familer when you go shopping for fish? Well it has happened. Everyone has been telling me that I am over stocked! Looking at my fish and the size that they are now I said no way. I just added up the numbers and a WHOOPING 60IN of fish at adult. I am in trouble, I don't think I will be able to get another tank. What to do?

Could this work out if I make sure that level are all on the money and don't over feed?

What size tank would it have to be with 60in of fish?

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

If its in your reef, Ild say around 400 gallons safley, 240 with some uber serious filtraion.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

re: fish capacity

Sounds like me and my 20 long. :)

Fooling around with the calculators (www.3reef.com/calculators)

I got around 240 gallons for 60 inches of fish so OoNickoC was definitely in the ball park.

5. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Uh-OH.... lol.... so hard to resist.

6. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

Thankfully SW costs too much so my 35 gallon has only 8 inches maybe of adult fish in it (he's only six inches atm) and he's only fed every third day. I got my refugium up and going so hopefully the nitrates will be more manageable.

though in FW i have 10 gallons of water with my prize albino ethiopian lungfish that could potentially reach five feet....thats a five foot fish as big around as a normal mans fore arm. :D

btw the time he's half that size he'll have more space than he needs :).

I"m really really careful on stocking my SW though. I"m doing my research as best i can and applying all the oopsies i had with FW in stocking. Doing good, so far i've talked myself out of several big waste heavy fish :)

Jason

PS at least in my old school FW tanks i can do massive water changes if i have too to keep things going smoothly. i cant afford that out side of an emergency in my SW

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your avatar makes me itchy and uncomfortable in so many ways :lol:

8. Click Here!

9. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

How old is tiny, great looking spider i rarely see them that size unless its on dedicated keeper. i love spiders but my GF wont let them in the house....yet....used to say that about snakes so we'll see :)

jason

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Tiny is about 5, and she def is itchy...you avit. is hilarious amcarrig, must of left a mark after tha pic....;) Babk to the post....::) I think you should consider a serious upgrade....or a good sized FOWLR for that much fish.

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

There are three things you can do to rectify this situation. 1) return some of your livestock. 2) perform water changes frequently though not ideal or recommended. 3) make sure your protein skimmer is very efficient and able to handle the bio-load! Increase the filtration and add phosphate remover and carbon as an added bonus.

1 person likes this.
  12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Berlin, I'll second what Coral Reefer said. I like the idea of returning the fish when they get too big, or just exchanging the biggest ones for less (or smaller) fish. It's kind of like leasing a car -- you trade it in after 1 or 2 years.