$60AU DIY LED hanging sump light - VERY simple!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by stewart1481992, Apr 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stewart1481992

stewart1481992 Plankton

What you'll need (I bought all my stuff from Jaycar)

Command strips - for mounting the finished product

2 x Led lights that run off 240VAC Current (mains power for AU, 110VAC for US)

2 x Light sockets for the LED lights. (push and twist type is best so it cannot fall out)

1 x Box - I made mine from PLC (polycarbonate) and epoxy. but you can buy kit boxes.

1 x Power cord with end exposed i.e. open wires at end that DOESNT plug into wall.

4 x wall plugs

4 x screws

step 1

Build box (or buy one) - using epoxy, glue wallplugs into each corner of the box. drill holes into lid over wall plugs so you can screw the lid on.

plugs.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG

step 2

Drill holes into box - 3 holes will be drilled into the box once made. 2 at the bottom for the lights to hand from and 1 on the side for the power cord to enter. try make holes as much of a tight fit as possible to avoid moisture getting in. holes on the bottom must be spaced so hanging lights don't touch.

holes.jpg

step 3

thread all cables through their appropriate holes and connect to plastic wire connector. connect both plastic connectors together using wire.

wire connector.jpg

step 4

connect mains power cable to closest wire connector

step 5

attach lid, mount using command strip, insert lights (i used 1 x warm white and 1 x cool white 4w LED lights) and turn on!

IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1940.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I have mine hanging over my sump with a regular light socket that plugs into the wall. Hangs from a bracket inside the stand. im not sure why all the extra work here?
    But it does look kinda cool.

4. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Looks cool. Mine is as simple as Dbo's and have great cheato growth. Nice build none the less.

5. stewart1481992

stewart1481992 Plankton

Thanks guys!

i was looking for a low wattage solution, hence the LED's. my stand doesnt have a bracket or anything and i wanted to make it look as 'neat' as possible without drilling holes in my cabinet or permanently gluing it on. I had spare PLC lying around, a mitre saw, epoxy and a free day. So i thought i would make this exactly how i wanted it so i would never have to think about it again.

the reason for 2 lights is so that i can have 2 different spectrum's if i like. As you can see in the photo's one light is warm white whilst the other is cool white.

The idea behind this is a greater spectrum will be better for growth. not sure if thats right but seems legit enough to me.

the circuit itself can be put together in literally 5 minutes. If I bought a kit box or some sort of premade box i could have had the whole thing finished and installed in around 20 minutes.

But this looks better :p