6' long

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cuttingras, May 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

YEAH BUDDY! great score! LoOkInG GOOD too

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ok it's 8:34 am....how long will it be before the tank clears up? it's not as cloudy as last night, but I still can't see the back. I can see 3 pcs of the rock clearer. Should I acclimate the fish now since its all testing fine? I'd hate for the fish to bump into rocks lol

4. cuttingras

at 10:12 am with actinics on, I'm acclimating the fish

[​IMG]

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

If you have some kind of mechanical filter, put iton there to filter out the stuff making it foggy. The cloudiness can last a few days.

6. cuttingras

yep, I put the emperor on it with all fresh media....I know it's from the new sand and it'll take time for it to settle. I'm just wondering if it would hurt the fish or corals? I gotta get em out of the buckets.

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Depends on the fish, I wouldnt put corals in there until after the cycle...

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

what I did when I had to do this, turn off all powerheads and your return pump for a bit, just run the mechanical filter, lets the stuff settle down faster if your not blowing it around all over the place

10. cuttingras

uggghhhh didn't realize i would cause a full cycle..... I thought it would be like a big ole water change

ya know....I thought about turning them off LOL it's already starting clear more since I turned them off

Thanks Geek and Iraf!

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thats where a lot of people go wrong. If you are reusing sand, then you need to really clean it, but that kills the bacteria... You cant just change the sand over because that will release excessive amounts of sulphates and will end up killing your whole tank. You basically have to start from scratch, keep a tank up while the new one is cycling and move things as you can with the stages of the cycle.

12. cuttingras

gotcha....I put a little of the sand(drained the water) and smaller rocks from the tank into the fuge. I did 3 40# bags of new live sand(oolite), most of the water from my tank and a lot of new water. I haven't added any new rock, just my old stuff. keep your fingers crossed for me Geek. I did it the wrong way. broke down my tank as I was setting the big one up. oh well(I'm claiming ignorance, nobody told me and I didn't think to ask).....we'll see..... one good thing.. it's really clearing up nicely since I turned the ph's off!