6 gallon bucket ATO/Kalk mixer

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by reefmonkey, May 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Just thought I'd share this project with you all. It started out as just an ATO but as it progressed I added some more cpvc, a valve, and a 2 liter rubbermaid food container so that as the ato replaces water it also is mixing Mrs. Wages pickling lime in the food container. There are holes drilled around the top of the container to let the saturated water run out and mix with the ro in the bucket. The bucket itself will hold 6 gallons but I will only keep it at five so that the holes in the container are always above the water level in the bucket and kalk will only be added to the resevoir while the pump is running. I'll be taking my daily dose of kalk by 7 and cutting it down to about 1/4 of that amount to start. Then I'll test and adjust as necessary. My goal is to only mess with the lime one time per week instead of everyday. Here is a few pics. Not a bunch of details though sorry.
    The iSwitches, relay, transformer and project box
    [​IMG]

The top of the bucket. I cut the bottom off of another type of cheap storage container and siliconed it around the holes to funnel the water when added. I drilled a dozen half inch holes to pour thru instead of one big one because I figuire dust and junk will have a harder time finding it's way in that way. There's also a piece of nylon screen glue to the inside of the lid, under the holes to stop larger junk and bugs from entering.
    [​IMG]

Lid off to show the internal pipes, pump and container.
    [​IMG]

Same shot but with the container removed. The lid is fastened with four clips and has a built in rubber seal. Perfect for what I needed. LOL
    [​IMG]

By the time I got done testing the float switches it was too late to finish the install. I'll do that tomorrow and post picks of it in action. :)

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Well Im tuned in for part 2 reefmonkey
    very interesting , cant wait to see this in action

Steve

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

5. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

very nice cant wait to see it up and running, will the kalk mix be open to the air and does that matter?

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

LOL part II is the scary one. Let's see if I've learned enough reef chemistry to come up with a daily dose in a poor boy mixer without burning my tank down to the rock. LOL ;)

Will do!

It'll draw some air but not enough to matter. Aeriated limewater loses potency very quick through percipitation of calcium carbonate. Randy Holmes-Farley did a study on it in a 33 gallon trash can with a loosely fitted lid and his solution's conductivity stayed pretty consistent over the course of a week. My set up is basically the same as a can with a loose lid and a little bit of air space at the top.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great idea, good luck with the calculus.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

LOL thanks 2in10! As if this little venture isn't intimidating enough ;D

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Here it is installed and running.

It's inside the cabinet, under my fuge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The float switches and the return line in the sump under my DT
    [​IMG]

The project box on the wall
    [​IMG]

Test results this afternoon were:
    Calc 400ppm
    Alk 8dkh
    pH 8.3
    Mag 1400

I figuired the amount of lime I would need to dose daily for a week if I used it as replacement water then divided that number by half to start.
    If it works like I'm hoping my calcium and alk will raise a little and hold. My mag should drop so I'll have to bump that back up to 1450 or so. I don't think pH will be effected to bad since very little will be added each time.
    Hope I'm right.

1 person likes this.
  11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on getting it going

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Nice work.keep us posted on the future out come..