58,000 Gallons of Fuel Oil into San Francisco Bay

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I was thinking the same thing. That makes them like Pinto cars. Hit anything and watch it explode. The auto industry figured that out though. I am not asking for a lot of cosmetic crap just move the tanks in. If that is the solution and if possible. :)

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

It would cost way too much money for them to upgrade anything like that. Its about money and sense, and it doesnt make sense to them to throw away a few million dollars on something is working fine as long as it doesnt hit anything. Those double hulled tankers are in the billion dollar price range. Out of all of the 1000's upon 1000's of ships out there carry goods across the ocean, its extremely rare for them have any problems but when they do, its real bad.

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I hear ya, but here is to hoping that public outcry and the courts can change that. The gash on this boat implies that the oil tank is within 4 feet of the exterior. Might be wishful thinking to think we should change that, but the politicians here are all over it and the response. We shall see.

5. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

I bet the richmond public is pissed they can't line the streets out the doors of hospitals complaining about illness to get free money on this one.

I was born and raised in richmond and am stationed in Okinawa, this is irritating and saddening as well. I am not a bleeding heart, far from it.. military and all.. but I can't stand seeing stuff like this! the bay might be green but it is teeming with life.

oh, my Father works at the Oil refinery there too!

1 person likes this.
  6. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

What does ones' political beliefs have to do with the destruction of a natural habitat?
    We (you and I ) are powerless to prevent these kinds of things. We simply have to wait these calamities out, knowing nature will endure, and hopefully mend.

7. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

it means I dont cry the sky is falling if a few drops of oil drain down the gutter or if someone drives a big car.

you are right about waiting for nature to mend, unfortunately if we keep letting stuff like this happen it wont have the chance.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

^^ Unfortunately I feel like I have to state that because I get discounted for living in the Bay Area by many for perceived political beliefs.

I understand what you are saying, but I refuse to believe I or others are powerless. If we are, there is something wrong here.

Small world 2t2.

Here is the spill on a map:
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ospr/spill/incidents/cosco_busan/USCG&OSPR_Overflights_11_09_07_rev2.jpg

I am at Kellers Beach up on the east side.

Check out the latest facts (updated daily) here:
    California Department of Fish & Game

A Google Action Map of the San Francisco Oil Spill:
    Google Maps Mania: Google mapping the San Francisco Bay Oil Spill

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt Rogers

I am not a bleeding heart liberal.

What does ones' political beliefs have to do with the destruction of a natural habitat?
    We (you and I ) are powerless to prevent these kinds of things. We simply have to wait these calamities out, knowing nature will endure, and hopefully mend.

politics has everything to do with polution,just not with this kind of accident or incompitence,depending on what the investigation reveals.the political party has a direct effect on what gets dumped into the water on purpose.when my boss says if a certain somebody does'nt get elected that we all get a pay cut cause he can't use the trickle method with cyanide and bleach to neutralize and then slowly trickle it with lots of water into the stream out back.i know politics has a direct effect.then he gets his wish and every trout i catch has shriveled fins the very next trout season,and these are trout newly stocked,not in the water very long.then i run out of bait so i turn over a rock to look for worms and they are half dissolved,not a good sign.i know who dumped it and turned them in and the fish commision says they are within legal guidelines.i could go on but the accident in the bay is soooo much worse.i wish i could help but i'm in pennsylvania.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is an update - notes based on today's Chronicle:

1) Crab Season was officially closed, but in a real cool move, San Francisco hires the crabbers to clean up the bay by dragging 'pom-pom' lines behind their boats and picking up dead wild life.

- On a sad note, one of the crab fisherman that was interviewed said that Raccoon Straight near Angel Island will not have a herring for a long time base on what he saw.

2) The Mayor of San Francisco - Gavin Newsom - bails days after spill to go on a planned vacation to Hawaii with his girlfriend for a few days.

3) And then there is this.... apparently people are soaking up the oil with human hair. Seems fitting out here. :) Whatever works.

Welcome to Matter Of Trust : Programs : Hair Mats Information

EDIT - better google map:
    Google Maps

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007