58,000 Gallons of Fuel Oil into San Francisco Bay

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

nvm
    they came up as i typed

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Double Hulled Ships

It looks like Ziggy was right, double hulled ships ARE required for all NEW tankers that are built. However old single hull tankers can go anywhere in the world except California where tankers are required to do business with double hulls.

HOWEVER, container ships like the one that crashed last week, ARE NOT required to be double hulled.

Yet my friends tell me this one was? I find that hard to believe if that is the case as I thought it would afford them protection in these type of crashes! :-/

http://www.imo.org/includes/blastDa...eHull-SinglehullShipDesign_29October2007_.pdf

http://www.isd.mel.nist.gov/documents/bostelman/ship_welding.pdf

Double hull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  4. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

This is truly a tragedy. It was all over the news this morning and my heart broke. :-[

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

This just plain ole stinks. I'm glad that there is a charity already on the job and there are already people volunteering.

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

7. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

hmmmm that boat was out of hong cong.i could be incorrect but did'nt they also kill off the only mammal to go extict in like 50 yrs just a few months ago over there in china?some kind of fresh water dolphin?maybe they need to get there act together.oh yeah,and then of course theres all that fish they polluted and sent over here for us to eat.i would'nt be so upset about the little bit of fish that got sent over before they stopped it,but i got stuck with a big box of it that i can't eat.i hate to pick on another country but i'm starting to see a kind of self destuctive pattern,maybe they have a more lax veiw of the environment,or maybe its just bad luck idk.

10. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

or just over population and lack of education !!!!:)

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The captain and pilot were white and from the USA.

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

yeah i caught that part.there was 3 americans on the boat.the capatain,pilot,and i think the co-pilot.i also caught the part that says that it was the boats own fuel and not fuel that was being delivered that they lost.wow thats one big fuel tank.i wonder if the boats own fuel tank is not double layered and only fuel being delivered is?we'll find out after the investigation whats up i guess.