58,000 Gallons of Fuel Oil into San Francisco Bay

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Not to get too political, but this could be punishment for the whole Folsom Street fair thing back in Sept.

Just an idea....

Karma is a B@%#&

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Too political.

EDIT -

I don't care if you are a homosexual, republican, democrat, or Mickey Mouse. This sucks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This is me on my boat over the summer.
    I happen to be heading right toward where that container ship hit the bridge.

Attached Files:

5. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hey isn'nt that where the brine shirmp come from

HI,
    The S.F. Bay is a excellent nursery for many animals, things that grow up and go back to the sea, I hope they can clean it up before it wreck the entire bay eco-system, crabs, shrimp, fish,inverts.
    Lets all buy Bio-diesel cars next year and tell them to stick their oil.
    I plan to order a VW has a new diesel that has UREA injection it reduces the pollution and can run on bio-diesel its going to hit the streets 2008.there's a plan to grow algae for this puprose, a environmental safe alternative to gasoline, not to mention you don't need 6 banks of batteries that die every 5 years. its twice as peppy as the older deisel and no smoke..Mercadies is working with Vw do a goggle search for VW diesel.
    Doug

here's a link
    First Drive: 2008 Volkswagen Jetta TDI - Previews - Car and Driver February 2007

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  6. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

This wasn't oil for cars spilling out of a transport ship. This is oil from a container ships gas tank. Unless you have a container ship that can make transatlantic voyages burning left over french fry oil it's not exactly addressing this problem. Biodiesel cars are a good idea but we are no where near getting away from fossil fuels.
    The news said they had 115 people working to clean this up. Seems like volunteers would be great since the people they showed doing the cleanup didn't seem real motivated.
    Matt- I've got a friend with a sailboat and have been sailing on the bay more than a few times. It's a good time and you're right there is tons of life out there in the water.
    I'm going in to work tonight I wonder if I will be able to see the oil from the top of the structure.

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My heart goes out to everyone and everything affected by the spill.. Very sad situation....

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the algae they grow is not for diesel or bio gas type stuff.its to make hydrogen.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I went to my local beach yesterday - two blocks from my house. I used to go there to relax and swim occasionally. Might be a while now. I saw oil sheens on the beach and on the water.

As I took a walk along the rocks in low tide I managed to spook a few oil soaked ducks (one in pic below). That is exactly what I was told not to do in a meeting thrown by Office of Spill Prevention and Response (OSPR) that I went to yesterday so I left them alone. When they get oil on them they lose their ability to keep warm and get cold easily so they come ashore. Humans will scare them back into the water.

This has been hard on me as the bay has been my sanctuary to get away from it all. I know that it will rebound, but it is hard to swallow as this should not have happened in a calm well traveled waterway. I hope better laws come about to prevent this from happening again. :-/

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

That sucks. if only people had common sense.
    BTW the pic didnt come up