56 gallon salt->fresh questions

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by chrisnif, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrisnif

chrisnif Flamingo Tongue

I have a 56 gallon set up as salt and I just cant get it right :( So before I get in way over my head financially I'm thinking about switching over to fresh, namely I was planning on having a "rock" part and a "sand" part (whole substrate will be sand actually). I want to do shell-dwellers, and maybe some yellow labs or others that I find will work with shellies (hard to match them up due to size differences).

Anyway is there any use having a sump with bioballs or maybe gravel ? Also, I know certain plants will work, especially with the shellies (like anubias etc). The tank is 24" tall, and I have a 175 W MH light, is that way beyond overkill?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I dont envision any problems with what your suggesting Chrisnif
    you have these things from your foray into salt water so its natural you want to use them if at all possible

the sun is the sun, over the sea or over a lake in Malawi so I dont thing a 175 watt MH is overkill especially if you are growing some plants - may want to raise it further off the top of the tank than you would with corals, but other than that I dont think there are any issues

at least using / keeping this gear means should you ever decide to try the saline branch of the hobby again, you have at least got a head start

Steve