55gal sump/refugium pis

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by axle314, Aug 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. axle314

axle314 Plankton

fixing to build a 55 gal sump for my 135 reef, need more room, have a older berlin sump now, any helpful do's/don'ts would be great, I've been researching for some time, mainly looking for 55 sump pic's and measurements and what not to do if you had issues and would do different now. thanks for the info !!!!

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Just one bit of advice, probably goes without saying, but make sure you use some type of valve in the plumbing to the fuge side so that the water flow is slower through the fuge. Check out all the other threads on sump/fuge builds and you will see many different ways to make a successful one!

4. axle314

axle314 Plankton

Thanks, I've been all through the photos and threads, I guess I'm looking for specific 55 builds, found a good one form 2010, has refug on outside not middle, was an interesting thread

5. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

That's they style I like personally, keep the fuge on one side which allows you to keep "dirty" water flowing into it before it gets skimmed. One side fuge, opposite side skimmer, return middle.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

This, if you want some more pods in the DT you can stick a sponge (Like a cleaning sponge) in there and take it out and place it in the DT to shake them out.

1 person likes this.
  7. axle314

axle314 Plankton

so,,, should my overflow drop into the refug ?, or drop them into a sock to pull out large stuff, and inside with skimmer side ? I was going to drop into skimmer side and have a line go over to refug with a valve to adjust low flow.

8. Click Here!

9. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Drop into skimmer and have line with valve to fuge to adjust flow.

10. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora