55g Build.. *first SW tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nyvw, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks! i really dont know what im doing but i guess being a design student helps a little haha

So my plan is to have the tank filled and starting to cycle by the end of the week assuming i get the ro/di unit soon. I just want to make sure im doing this right because i cycled my freshwater tank before but this seems a tad more complicated... Filter water > Mix salt > Add a little water > add live sand > Add more water > then add the live rock then fill everything else? that should be a good order right?

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Sounds like a good order to me. Make sure to put a bowl down on top of the sand before putting more water into the tank. That will help with not stirring up the sand.

4. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

oh yea ill do that also. then im just gunna toss in a little shrimp to get the cycle started then grab a beer and sit back and wait haha

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Sounds good. You might need more then a beer lol. Maybe a 24 pack or something lol.

6. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

F it ill pick up a keg haha

7. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I was also thinking of picking up another powerhead for more flow from the other side of the tank.. is it more favorable to have the water flow in a say a circle around the tank or ahould tgey be pointed towards the rock?

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I think that would depend on what corals you end up putting in there actually. Right now I don't think it would honestly matter to much. I guess I would have to say pointed at the rock in order to keep it clean.

10. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

True im not sure what im going to end up keeping in there, probably just a few hardy corals since this is my first sw tank. Should i cycle the tank with .lights off? Too keep algae down?

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You could do that. I didn't really have an algae problem while cycling though.

12. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Well i guess wel see.. as long as i use ro/di water i should be good for the most part right?