55g Build.. *first SW tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nyvw, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

yea i meant overflow water going into the sump lol, ill check that out thanks

2. Click Here!

3. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

so i decided to put my old lights on top of the tank and turn them on just for the hell of it anddd.... The tank is SO scratched i think im going to literally throw it in the garbage.. i couldnt see the scratches before but now i can and they are soooo bad its rediculous.. looks like ill be buying myself a new tank for xmas

4. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

5. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks! But i already bought a new tank. Got one at the $1 /g sale at the lfs. Plus, you really have no idea how bad the scratches were.. some were very deep and deff could not be buffed out. Id much rather spend the $55 and get a brand new tank like i should have in the beginning.. everything is so much better than with the old tank.

6. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Quick shot of the new tank and the base rock, i think i might keep the rock design like it is and i still have to add ~20 lbs of live rock once i fill the tank

[​IMG]

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I like how that looks.

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

10. rocketmandb

The scape looks great! The only issue you might have is that the rock looks like it goes right up against the front of the glass. You need to have some room there (I like a minimum of 4") to get a scraper in otherwise you'll get these little areas you can't clean that get gunky with algae and look bad.

One way to solve this is to flatten the backs of the rocks so they go flush against the back of the glass You can do this with a grinder that has a cutting blade attached and cut parts of the rock off. I've done this on a few occasions before and it really looks cool and gives more viewing area.

EDIT: It also looks like you've got limited room on the ends. Not an issue if you don't view from the ends, but the way you've got this set up it looks like you will.

11. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks yall, yea in a few spots the rock comes really close to the glass your right i deff wouldnt be able to scrape algae off.. i can move the rocks further back in the tank because i left room in the back to flow water around the tank but i guess it wont be that much of a problem. Flattening a few rocks would definitely give me some more depth to work with in the tank since its limited already.. Ill probably end up changing the scape a little once i start to fill the tank and have more rock to add. I was basically going for alot of caves/tunnels and once its all done i think its going to look pretty good.

12. rocketmandb

You definitely did a great job. I've seen a lot of tanks that come no where close to the look you've got going from people who have been in the hobby a lot longer :)

1 person likes this.