55g Build.. *first SW tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nyvw, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stercus Accidit

Stercus Accidit Feather Duster

I ran a 20gH under my 55 and it held my Reef Octopus 150 just fine. I agree with selling the sump and not the skimmer, it should be easier to sell and I would think you wouldn't take as big of a hit on money lost.

2. Click Here!

3. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Yea im deff gunna sell it. If anyone wants a sump pm me! Haha. I actually have a 20L i can use to set something up.

4. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Quick update:
    Stand is done! got the sump, skimmer, heater, return all under the tank. Almost ready to fill with water!!
    I put some stick on tile on the top and ran a bead of silicone around the edge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Looking good. What are you using for a return pump?

Also, your skimmer will be the main maintenance item under the tank. Put it somewhere where you can get at the collection cup easily to clean.

6. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I forget exactly but its one i picked up at my lfs. I already tested the overflow and return and everything works well together.. The skimmer is actually pretty easy to get to you just cant see it from that angle.
    Im guessing my next step is to get the tank clean, and plumb the overflow, its actually already set i just have to add about a foot of pcv so the water isnt splashing around in the sump

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Looking good so far. I can't wait to see some LR in it lol.

8. Click Here!

9. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks. Im gunna aquascape the base rock tomorrow hopefully, then as soon as i get an ro/di unit ill ad the live sand and some s/w then go pick ~ 20lbs cured lr from the lfs. How much live sand should i get? I have 40lbs now.. im guesing ill grab another 20

10. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

id recommend 1 pound of live sand per gallon.. so 60 lbs would be good, then its also how you like the looks. sand will have to be added and replaced over time. but never replace all of it at once. do about 1/4 of it at a time. otherwise you could mess up the biological filtration of the tank and start a large cycle. but you won't need to replace it for awhile. ;D

11. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Really? I didnt know you had to replace sand?

12. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

I'm assuming you mean the overflow. If so...

The best thing to hit the aquarium trade: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

This is a combo of the pipe you mention as well as a "gurgle" eliminator. Well worth the time and roughly $15 in parts you'll use to put it together. You can also buy a premade one or spend about $50 on a commercial version from Marine Depot that is adjustable, but if you're handy at DIY stuff (and it looks like you are) and have the time then make your own.