55g Build.. *first SW tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nyvw, Dec 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks! I actually have my 55 drilled and have a gl*******s overflow and return setup. I think im going to keep the 55 as i already have so much time invested in it and the stand.. if anything im going to just get a brand new tank and drill it.

Thanks alot ill check these out. Which would you recommend?

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Are your 6"x9" dimensions completely accurate? Or do you have a little more room?

The reason I ask is that I've never used any of the above, but have read about people who like them. However, I have used Reef Octopus skimmers and believe they are the best bang for the buck out there.

The SRO1000 would be a little overkill, but is an awesome skimmer. However, it requires 10"x7.5"

Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 1000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

And the NWB-110 is 10"x6.75"

Reef Octopus NWB 110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

4. rocketmandb

Frankly I think your existing tank looks fine. With thicker glass I'm not sure a central brace is required - there are plenty of larger rimless tanks without central bracing. There aren't many 55s with glass that thick (and are drilled, for that matter).

5. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Its actually 6.5x9.5 but i dont want to have to squeeze the thing in.. i actually have the nwb110 and its really nice but doesnt fit so im trying to sell it. Its brand new if anyone wants it shoot me a pm..

I know this thing is thick as hell! Its definately a strong tank thats for sure. Maybe ill see if my lfs can re silicone it. I drilled it myself so i would mind drilling again if i had to... It was super easy idk why people are scared to drill their own tanks, id love to do it again lol

6. rocketmandb

So I may have missed it, but why are you so limited on your sump size?

7. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Got a good deal on an aqueon proflex sump tank. Its not very wide and i bought it before i really knew exactly what i was trying to do... Noob mistake lol

8. Click Here!

9. rocketmandb

Just a thought, but right now you've got a skimmer and a sump that don't work together. You've got to keep one and get rid of one - why not get a new sump and keep the skimmer?

10. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I could, i didnt really think of getting rid of the sump for some reason.. i just feel im going to have a hard time getting rid of it

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You never know until you try. You thought you got a deal on it, so somebody else might as well. ;D

12. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Well craigslist it is until i can post here lol