55 Gallons of Eye Candy

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by civiccars2003, Sep 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Thought I'd post a picture of new aquascape.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Homeboy you need more rock. Just kidding. Nice aquascape.

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Everything looks great. Sorry to hear about your losses though. I hope everything pulls together for you! :). (Seems like it is!)

Have some karma for luck :D!

5. robj6767

robj6767 Plankton

I've used xiameter <a href="www.xiameter.com/en/ExploreSilicones/Silicone_Rubber/Pages/silicone-rubber.aspx">silicone</a> on my tank before and it did the job.

6. civiccars2003

Well my water isn't quite ready to put any livestock in. Had a small trace of ammonia and my alkaline was really low. Did a small water change last night and started to dose water with alkaline.

I want to put two fish in this weekend. Thinking about two mated pair of clown fish, any thoughts on which species? Or if I buy two clown fish will they eventually become mated? Side note, I will be putting in an anemone when the tank is stable enough too.

Almost forgot. I installed my automatic top off and its working great.

7. civiccars2003

Thought I'd post some pics...

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Ill chime in. I dislike clowns because mine has always mean mean as a three legged goat. However, its a false perc, true percs are generally more agreeable in aquaria. I have no idea about the pair, but Ive been told big clowns are girls, small clowns are boys, and they can switch sexes. Mated pairs are generally less likely to murder each other before mating though. But like i said, i am no expert on the fish. before adding anything, id get a bottle of alk buffer, and get your meq/L or DKH up to NSW levels. You must do this slowly or you can shock your inhabitants.

10. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

What is in the mesh bag on 3rd pic? Seems like it may need more flow to work...

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Sorry for your loss. Like others have stated, very important using aquarium safe products. Also, to prevent another disaster. I'm assuming your sump/refug is made of glass since you're using silicone. You did use glass for the dividers right? If you used acrylic onto glass, the silicone will not adhere to acrylic.

Also, with a 55gal I'd wouldn't get another tang. It's much to small..

Best of luck & stay with it.

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Yes it will. You are right in that it won't bond to the acrylic as strongly as it does to glass. You can't use silicone to make a tank out of acrylic (you need weld on for that), but you can use it to put baffles in a glass tank. The silicone will lightly adhere to the acrylic, but more importantly, it will wedge the acrylic panels into place. Since there is water on both sides of the baffle(s), there is virtually no pressure difference on each side of the baffle(s), and therefore they will stay just fine. I made my sump/fuge out of a 10g tank and used silicone on my acrylic baffles. More than 2 years later and they still haven't moved one iota. Now I'm sure if I really tried with all of my might, I could pry them loose. But why would I do that?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010