55 Gallons of Eye Candy

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by civiccars2003, Sep 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

To take this where I (and you) probably don't want to go, I am not sure now about your substrate and rock. They could be holding the contaminants and then leech them into any new water, I hate to say it but....you know where I'm headed. My only advice for the future (from my own inexperience and mistakes) is that, no matter what you plan on doing with your tank, google it, forum it, and then research even more. Hope this turns around for you.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Sorry to hear of your losses....I used regular silicone, GE silicone I, I think is the one without anti bacterial stuff in it to reseal my 46 bowfront and has worked well the tank is almost 6 months old and has 6 fish, CUC snails + 1 hermit, & a pistol shrimp (I hope since I haven't seen it since it went into the tank when he was barely an inch long) and some softie corals.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Sorry about your loss. I'd say cycle it again as well as a good rinse on your rock and sand. (Read hose it off and let it dry)

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Thank you for the advice. According to my lfs, I will not have to change out my rock or substrate. I will do some more research to see what others say. I have been doing anywhere from ten to twenty five percent water changes everyother day. All ready my water looks and smells much better. I am far from adding any livestock.

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Carbon will help to remove contaminants from the water. I highly recommend you use it.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Sound advice, and maybe some Ammo-lock.

8. Click Here!

9. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Carbon for sure and maybe some Prime.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

LFS's say alot of things, be wary what they tell you lol.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

UPDATE:I failed to mention that I kept my Hammer and Green Star Polyp. This morning before work, I checked the tank. My Hammer Coral is starting to come back. Hope that it does. I will take the advice and purchase some carbon this weekend.

12. 1babelove

1babelove Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That's a great.. Carbon will surely help.. I just finished reading your thread and I am truly sorry for your loss. But I am glad you are not giving up and staying in the game.. :)