55 gallon stand Build! (HERE WE GO!!!)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Kevin_E, Jul 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer_dane

reefer_dane Astrea Snail

Looks good Kevin, nice work!

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I sanded it and re-stained it. It's much smoother and looks a little better. here is one facade piece I may pull and replace. I stained the doors that I built too. I think I will leave it at one coat. they came out really, really nice and I don't want to risk ruining them.

I am going to pick up some spray poly to seal everything. Do you think I need to do several coats of spray, or will one suffice?

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks a bunch Dane.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Decided to go with a bronze acrylic instead of etched glass. For one, it's more light weight. Secondly, it's less prone to breaking and lastly, it is cheaper in my case (Add up glass and etching film and it's twice the price).

I have the doors stained already. I will clear coat them and add the acrylic tonight. I have the hinges as well, so I will try and install them too.

Attached Files:

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

It really depends on how shiny you want your stand. User preference there. I went with several coats so it was really shiny. As long as it's sealed you should be good. Can't wait to see it all complete. Looks great so far.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I sprayed on 3 coats today with a gloss finish. Looks good.

8. Click Here!

9. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

no picture to follow that! smh.... lol can't wait to see it.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It doesn't come through well in the photo. Poor lighting down in our warehouse.

But I did semi-put together one of the doors. I need to sand them again and re-stain them once more.

[​IMG]

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I see the reflections on the top so it's looking very shiny from here very nice.
    On the miters, Put some stain able wood putty then get a wet cloth and wipe it down it will fill it like grout almost then it will stain and leave really nice dark lines. Has to be stain able wood putty though. Also cut and stain the trim pieces before you put them on so that the cut edges will be dark too. Looking very good. You will sit back and admire that stand for years to come.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Cool thanks. I am going to cut the dowels down a bit. The cuts on the door fit snug, so there shouldn't be gab. I have some stain-able wood-filler too though.