55 Gallon Canopy Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Irrumater, Mar 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Irrumater

Irrumater Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

With Tuesdays and Weds off, not alot of time the last few days to do much exciting with the build, I have managed to finish the sanding. I also added some veneer strips I found in a roll at lowes to the exposed plywood edges to give a more finished look.
    [​IMG]
    this pic was taken before I trimmed the edge back flush.

Also my LED moonlights came in the mail today. I ordered them off ebay for about $15. Six lights connected to an AC adaptor. The seem bright and well put together , connected tight and the shrink tubing around the connections.
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow evening gonna wipe everything down real good and give it a final once over looking for places that need a bit more sanding and Tuesday morning time to give it some color....finally

2. Click Here!

3. Irrumater

Its been a busy week , ive had much time for updates, [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I settled on a red Mahogany stain which went on nicely. Of course with the changng winter to spring weather and rain ive been at the mercy of thedry time and has really slowed me up.

I id however get 2 coats of a semi gloss poly on the top lid so I could go ahead and wireup the lights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I gave them a test fire but only 2 or 4 worked
    [​IMG]
    Turns out after troubleshooting and checking everything one of the 2 ballasts was defective. I called icecap and they were great to work with...I have shipped it off just waiting for the replacement.
    Hopefully I will get some dry weather so the poly on the rest of the canopy with dry and air out well while I wait.

4. Irrumater

Finally a chance to update. I finally got the ballast back from icecap. Very good customer service, unfortunately I happen to send it in when the service guy was on vacation so it took a little bit, but shipped back to me the very next day after he returned. Hooked it up for a test run last night on the desk, and with all 4 bulbs running about blinded my self. I have the top and back finished and polyed and lights attached sitting on the tank. Final coat of Poly and some finish touchup work n the front in the next few days. All thats left is to mount the fans in the back and run eggcrate between them to prevent jumpers. I have a couple of new picks of the test run on the tank Ill post later.

1 person likes this.
  5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Nice Job!!!---This has been Canopy central lately...Maybe we should all get together and open a stand and canopy business!!!!

6. Icon

Icon Astrea Snail

Super looking trim...