5 month update and lessons learned...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by artrichter001, Aug 18, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Hi guys,

It's been five months since I set up my Innovative Marine Nuvo 38 gal. aquarium and wanted to share some updates. Everything has gone ok, but I have learned a thing or two the hard way. First off, this is a pic of my setup:

[​IMG]

I have managed to get my hands on some corals. To be honest, I don´t remember all of their names. Here are a few:

Pulsing Xenia:

[​IMG]

Hammer:

[​IMG]

Green Star Polyp:

[​IMG]

Some kind of Zoanthids:

[​IMG]

Red mushroom (with some kind of clavularia growing beside it):

[​IMG]

Papaya Clavularia (spreading fast):

[​IMG]

Unknown mushroom, unknown coral and (closed) sun coral:

[​IMG]

Lessons learned:

1.- Do not add a six line wrasse as your first fish. Mine has become extremely aggressive and has already killed a goby which was added last. It took one hour for the wrasse to kill him by beating the goby up.

2.- Scrape coralline algae from power heads before it completely covers the water intakes and cause malfunction.

3.- Don't get hermits. They mess everything up. Before I glued all my corals to the rock work, I had to rearrange everything on a daily basis. Also, they like to move into snail houses. Snails are not asked nicely for this.

4.- Don't get a sun coral if you are not up to it. I have to feed each polyp every three or so day. PITA.

5.- Lastly, and I know I'm going to get flamed for this one, do not trust every LFS employee. I was sold a very cool "pygmy angel" which turned out to be a mimic tang. Tank extremely small for him. Doing good, eating and pooping a lot, growing fast, but seems to be getting more nervous and jumpy every day. Looking to re-house ASAP.

[​IMG]

Due to the six line issues I have, I'm afraid of adding any more fish. If someone has a good idea for an extra fish, I would appreciate it.

Anyways, it has been a very fun journey so far!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I had to learn each and everyone one of those lessons as well, it took me more than 5 months.

Hermits are monsters. Six-lines wrasses in nanos are monsters, I do not have the commitment to keep a Sun Coral.

Clowns, Royal Grammas, Fire Fish, a lot different gobies, just to not get a sleeper goby. Pigmy wrasses are supposed to be passive.

The unknown mushroom is a Rhodactis aka hairy mushroom, the soft coral looks like Capnella sp. or Nephthea.

I have been in this hobby a long long time and I still have my duh moments and frequently.

Your tank looks absolutely fabulous. :D And I mean it.

artrichter001 likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I agree! the tank looks fabulous! I've made so many mistakes over the years - too many to count. That you learn from the lesson is the important thing!

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

+1 on IDs, I would even feed the sun coral more frequently than every 3 days.

I love six lines, but as you stated they are just too aggressive in nano tanks, and anything bigger they just are too small.

I think a real dwarf angel would be a nice addition.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Good job, nice write up, and....................

IMHO- your tank should have no more then 4 swimming fish, including Gobies, etc.

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

we have all been there, nice setup! iv personally never tried it but i hear people have had success capturing 6 lines with a trap. might want to research that further. they can indeed be monsters in small systems and not only....

8. Click Here!

9. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I have a nice big home for it if youre willing to ship to Akron Ohio.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Also very nice tank @ 5 months